Chapter Nine

It was late in the evening when Elizabeth, Mr. Jones, and Captain Hawthorne descended to join the others at their abridged repast. Jane was stable, with all her external wounds healed. Elizabeth had been amazed at how Captain Hawthorne used a paltry levitation gift to aid in his surgery. He seemed to be able to use invisible fingers to feel around in the wounds for debris, drawing out any that he found, then suturing the wounds starting from deep in the body and working his way to the surface; all without actually touching the patient. She knew she could not do the same, as her gift gave her no particular control over inorganic materials.

After the surgeon had finished his work, Elizabeth had regulated Jane's humors until they were balanced for slowly healing the damage done by the electricity that had surged through her vital organs. Between the horrific shock and the brutal punishment from the lead projectiles, her liver, heart and lungs had all been damaged and would require time to recover, even under Elizabeth's care. After which, Mr. Jones had prescribed several poultices and powders to prevent infection and to reduce her pain. Elizabeth would arrange with Mrs. Weaver to ignore those instructions as her form of healing would ameliorate any of those risks.

"Miss Elizabeth, how fares your sister?" Mr. Bingley almost sprang to his feet as they entered the dining room. He rushed to her and took her hand. "I cannot tell you how sorry I am that your sister should be injured on my estate. I must have full responsibility for her welfare until she is recovered."

"Charles!" Miss Bingley squawked. Elizabeth smiled inwardly. That was almost a declaration of intent on the young gentlemen's part. But she suspected it originated in feelings of guilt and shame rather than affection; and she knew Jane would not wish to secure a match though such unhappy emotions.

"Please be at ease, Mr. Bingley," Elizabeth soothed. "Jane will recover, though it will be some time before it is safe to move her. I pray you will extend to us your hospitality until that time. I can either stay here to take care of her, or travel from Longbourn each day. I'm afraid without my care, she will face a much longer and more uncomfortable convalescence."

"Of course, you must stay as long as you like. I cannot be comfortable with you leaving us until the area has been determined to be without danger. Even then ... I would do anything to help in her recovery." Elizabeth looked away from the gentleman's display of emotion. Her attention was captured by the scowl on Mr. Darcy's countenance. He cannot be happy to be thrown into prolonged company with someone he finds so distasteful. Not that she anticipated any great pleasure for herself from his society. Looking at the others at the table, she felt she had let herself in for a most disagreeable visit.

"Thank you for your kindness. I do feel I must travel home this evening, both to inform my family of Jane's condition and to gather a few necessities for my stay here. If it is acceptable I will return to Netherfield before the evening is over."

"Surely it would be better to send a footman?" Miss Bingley said.

"It would not be safe to send a footman," Mr. Darcy stated flatly. "And it is much less safe to send a lady, particularly alone. I can go to Longbourn if you feel it is imperative that someone must go."

"I think you for your consideration, Mr. Darcy," Elizabeth said tightly. She was incensed that he though so little of her abilities that he would restrict her like a school girl to the nursery. "But you must recall that I am the sheriff of Longbourn. It is my duty to see to the safety of our estate. I will be safe and can make the journey in very little time."

The two medical men were standing in silent embarrassment at the unexpected conflict. Elizabeth saw their chagrin and blushed at the spectacle she was making. Her mother was always cautioning her against her hoydenish behavior. She dropped a quick curtsey to the room and moved toward the entrance. Mr. Bingley started to object, but she was out of his sight before he could form his arguments. Mr. Weaver had her pelisse and bonnet in hand and offered them to her as she reached the front door.