Chapter Ten

The next morning started early for Darcy. He performed an aerial reconnaissance of the neighborhood, looking for anything out of place. In particular, he was searching for any signs of another ambush, or the preparations for one. He saw two other flyers in the air, one a royal messenger paralleling the Great North Road, and one a scout for the militia regiment. He spotted a band of Strangefellows on Longbourn lands. Circling closer, the Derbyshireman discovered the travelers were working to repair a broken axel on one of their wagons. He spotted several obvious grotesques and wondered if any of the band might be fire or lightning elementals. He had dealt with numerous groups of Strangefellows over the years. Some had proven troublesome, while most were peaceful, if left unmolested. Few were above taking any opportunity offered them to enrich themselves. He determined he would return to question the group, though given that they were on Bennet property, it would be proper to inform Miss Elizabeth or Mr. Bennet of his intentions.

Finding no other circumstances out of the ordinary, Darcy returned to Netherfield in time to join his hosts for their morning repast. Bingley's sisters were palpably frightened. The violence perpetrated so near their home and to an acquaintance on her way to visit them made the possibility of their own danger more real.

"Mr. Darcy, surely we should remove to Town," Miss Bingley stated. "There is no reason to embroil ourselves in this turmoil."

"We would assuredly be safer in the metropolis if the French, or some revolutionary group, is beginning to rampage through the country," Mrs. Hurst agreed.

"I cannot disagree that we are facing an unknown threat," Darcy replied. "I would suggest that the roads are not yet secure enough to ensure your safe return. And even if they were, you could not leave. Bingley has a responsibility to this estate, and you have a responsibility to your guests. Surely you were not thinking of moving Miss Bennet at this time."

"The Housekeeper and her sister can see to Miss Bennet. For all we know the assailants are after her in particular and her presence in this house is endangering us all!" Miss Bingley said.

"Caroline! Surely you do not mean that!" Bingley protested.

"You cannot prove me wrong in this, Charles. She is a delightful creature and I wish her no ill, but this attack could well be personal and by harboring her we may make targets of ourselves."

"Either way it would be safer to leave this place forthwith!" Mrs. Hurst stressed.

"But that means no shooting," Mr. Hurst murmured. Darcy suspected the fellow was a trifle disguised, even at this early hour.

"No!" Bingley raised his voice. "We are not abandoning our guests, or fleeing from this crisis. You wanted to be landed gentry, sister. This is part of what holding that station means. I suggest you and Louisa see to our guests and prepare the household for further casualties. I should rather be prepared than found wanting."

This unaccustomed outburst brought a hush to the room that endured until the arrival of Miss Elizabeth. Darcy saw she was dressed simply, yet with a certain innate elegance that contrasted favorably with Miss Bingley's measured ostentation. "Good morning, Miss Elizabeth." Bingley's tone was once more friendly and solicitous. "May I inquire after your sister's recovery?"

"She is somewhat better. Though it will be several days before she will be well enough to remove to Longbourn."

"Please don't think of that," Bingley replied. "You are both welcome here as long as you would like. I ... feel somewhat responsible for her misfortune. She was injured on my property."

"Perhaps, though that has not been fully determined." She served herself a light meal and joined the group at the table. "More to the point, the safety of the area was my responsibility, as the de facto sheriff for the Sturbridges and for my father. You have not been in residence long enough yet to be able to effectively patrol the estate. If this is not a transitory difficulty then it is I that has missed the sowing of the seeds of this disaster." She picked at her food, then pushed it away. Darcy was struck by her discouraged mien. He detested seeing such bright eyes dimmed with sorrow or concern.