Chapter Six

Darcy's next two weeks were taken up with a combination of estate business, to assist Bingley in adapting to his new role; and social obligations, to help secure Bingley's place in the new neighborhood. The gentleman from Derbyshire was rather more interested in the former undertakings than the latter, but understood how essential it was for Bingley's long-term success and happiness to make a good name for himself in his new society.

Miss Bingley could not seem to understand that the consequence and polish of the individuals involved was of little matter; a country gentleman had to flourish within the local social order for the enduring well-being of the estate. Recluses and outcasts did not prosper in the close confines of country living.

This meant that Bingley and his guests either collectively, or in small groups, were obliged to attend any number of luncheons, teas, soirees, and other festivities. Several times Darcy and Bingley were brought into company with the residents of Longbourn, as the Bennets were considered one of the first families of the neighborhood. On the fourth or fifth such occasion, an evening party at Lucas Lodge, Darcy began to admit that his defenses against the entirety of the feminine gender were beginning to be breached by the increasingly intriguing Miss Elizabeth.

At first Darcy had scarcely allowed her to be pretty. He had looked at her without admiration at the ball; and when they next met, he looked at her only to criticize. But no sooner had he made it clear to himself and his friends that she had hardly a good feature in her face, than he began to find it was rendered uncommonly intelligent by the beautiful expression of her dark eyes. To this discovery succeeded some others equally mortifying. Though he had detected with a critical eye more than one failure of perfect symmetry in her form, he was forced to acknowledge her figure to be light and pleasing. And in spite of his asserting that her manners were not those of the fashionable world, he was caught by their easy playfulness with both friends and acquaintances. The obvious care with which she fulfilled not only her own duties to her dependents, but many of those related responsibilities belonging to her both father and mother, could only lead him to admire her integrity and rectitude.

He began to wish to know more of her, and as a step towards conversing with her himself, attended to her conversations with others. His doing so drew her notice.

"What does Mr. Darcy mean," said she to Charlotte, "by listening to my conversation with Colonel Forster?"

"That is a question which Mr. Darcy only can answer."

"But if he does it any more I shall certainly let him know that I see what he is about. He has a very satirical eye, and if I do not begin by being impertinent myself, I shall soon grow afraid of him."

On his approaching them soon afterwards, though without seeming to have any intention of speaking, Miss Lucas defied her friend to mention such a subject to him, which immediately provoked Miss Elizabeth to do it. She turned to Darcy and said, "Did not you think, Mr. Darcy, that I expressed myself uncommonly well just now, when I was teasing Colonel Forster to give us a ball at Meryton?"

"With great energy. But it is a subject which always makes a lady energetic."

"You are severe on us."

"It will be her turn soon to be teased," said Miss Lucas. "I am going to open the instrument, Eliza, and you know what follows."

"You are a very strange creature by way of a friend! Always wanting me to play and sing before anybody and everybody! If my vanity had taken a musical turn, you would have been invaluable, but as it is, I would really rather not sit down before those who must be in the habit of hearing the very best performers." On Miss Lucas's persevering, however, she added, "Very well; if it must be, it must be."