Chapter Twelve

Darcy was disappointed that the deserters had also proven not to be the culprits for whom they were searching. Instead, they were a ragtag band of desperate men holed up in a dilapidated inn well off the beaten path. They had put up little resistance when offered a forceful demonstration of Darcy and Miss Elizabeth's gifts. She had lifted a beer wagon over her head and he had hovered in the air with his weapons hovering beside him in battery. Again, it seemed they had flushed the wrong quarry. There were no gifts to be found among them, so they could not be responsible for the attacks in question. Nonetheless, it was still worthwhile to remove them as a danger to the free flow of trade.

Bingley and his sisters had greeted Miss Elizabeth and him upon their return to Netherfield. Their host had been effusive in his solicitation of Miss Elizabeth's wellbeing, as the evidence of their adventures was plain to see in her dishabille. Her sturdy dress and spencer were bespattered and stained, though not torn, after her adventures. Miss Elizabeth had immediately excused herself to attend to her sister. Darcy assumed she would also refresh herself and dress for dinner.

At five o'clock Darcy also retired to dress, a slight smile creased his visage while his valet dressed him. He recalled Miss Elizabeth's behavior during the day. She was stalwart, clever, and dutiful. Her beauty and vitality were all the more in evidence during their adventures, though he admitted that her more animalistic traits could be somewhat disconcerting. He found that entering combat with her at his side and the fact that she had saved him from possible injury, if not death, made the difference in their consequence seem somehow less significant. She was extraordinarily gifted, which could make up for a great many social shortcomings. He spent much of the afternoon, after his and Miss Elizabeth's return to Netherfield, dwelling not on his duties, but on thoughts of a fascinating lady.

At half past six the guests were summoned to dinner. Darcy was happy to see that Miss Elizabeth was appropriately, if somewhat unfashionably, attired. While he was always punctilious in his own adornment, he thought her dress more suited to a country house dinner than the London styles of Miss Bingley and Mrs. Hurst.

Bingley started the conversation once they were all seated. "Miss Elizabeth, how does your sister do? Is she any better?"

"I thank you," Miss Elizabeth replied. "I believe she is a little better. But I am afraid we must trespass a bit longer on your hospitality. It will be some days yet before she is well enough to move."

"Please think nothing of it." Bingley's smile gave Darcy cause for some concern. He knew his young friend was a romantic fellow, prone to forming quick attachments. Darcy pondered the necessity of having a quiet word to remind him not to allow exceptions to develop.

"Pray tell us how your investigations progress, Mr. Darcy," inquired Miss Bingley.

"Looked like you found something amiss," Mr. Hurst jested.

"Miss Elizabeth was able to procure two possibilities," Darcy said, "Unfortunately, while both led to the apprehension of several criminals, none proved to be the perpetrators of the crimes that we were investigating."

"Perhaps you should take a more active role in tracking these villains down, Mr. Darcy," Miss Bingley suggested. "While I am certain that Miss Eliza is familiar with the neighborhood, she lacks your magisterial experience and expertise."

"I think you would be surprised at Miss Elizabeth's capabilities." Darcy replied.

"Sir William and Colonel Forster have called a meeting of the local landowners for tomorrow at the Red Lion. Will you accompany me, Darcy?" Bingley asked.

"I think I should continue with the investigation. I will keep you informed of any developments before the meeting, so you may inform the others of our progress."