Chapter Twenty-One

As the carriage pulled away from the Church in Meryton, returning the two sisters once again to their home, Elizabeth pondered the last day's interactions with the tall gentleman that she finally realized had captured her heart. Had he really almost kissed me? She mused, her gloved fingers brushing against her lips. Did I want him to? If so, why did I run and hide from him? Then she recalled his reticent behavior in the parlor after dinner. Save for the one quip about poetry, almost an admission of a shared joke, he had hardly spoken to her for three full hours. The withdrawal of even the barest civilities confused her.

Then for him to so disregard her sensibilities and capabilities by patrolling her estate without her knowledge, much less her presence or permission, was demeaning to say the least. And all he did was stand there so stupidly silent when she confronted him. She could not make out his purpose at all. And she was no longer certain she cared to try. All she wanted was the familiar comforts of her home and her family's embrace. She leaned her head onto her sister's shoulder. Jane took hold of her arm and squeezed her silent support.

They were welcomed home not very cordially by their mother. Mrs. Bennet wondered at their leaving Netherfield so quickly. She was certain they could have stayed another week complete before decorum would have driven them home.

"You should have stayed. How can Mr. Bingley fall in love with Jane, if he is never to see her? And now there is no way to send her back. You must think more, Lizzy, before you take such decisions upon yourself.

"I must say I am not displeased by your return," said their father. "Your absence has illustrated your importance in the family circle. The evening conversation had lost much of its animation, and almost all its sense, in your absence."

"Mr. Bennet!"

"How can you joke at a time like this, Father?" Elizabeth was shocked to find the reprimand was delivered by her youngest sister. Lydia was dressed in the black and grey of half mourning. "Captain Carter. Mr. Pratt. Colonel Forster. Harriet! Have you forgotten so quickly? She was my particular friend, barely older than me. And now she's gone. And ... it ... it was almost ... Jane ..." Lydia collapsed in tears.

The sisters all gathered around the youngest to offer what comfort that they could. Soon all were weeping. Elizabeth realized she had not shed any tears since the horrible events had begun. She had needed to be so strong for so many people. She desperately required the catharsis only sharing such grief and pain with loved ones could bring.

Later Mary came to Elizabeth with an anxious expression. "May I speak with you, Lizzy?"

"Certainly. Would you like to take a walk?" Elizabeth asked, her eyes moving to where their mother was sitting with Kitty, enraptured with the fashion illustrations in the latest Lady's Magazine.

"I think that would be very pleasant." Mary agreed with a nod. They both donned their heavy spencers and bonnets, as the day had grown cooler, though there was still no threat of snow. They walked arm in arm for several minutes, circling the Longbourn gardens. Elizabeth reached out with her gift to strengthen the plants in the gardens, helping them prepare for the winter.

"You're using your gift, aren't you?" Mary asked, breaking her sister's concentration.

"I'm sorry? I was thinking of something."

"You were using your gift, probably to improve the garden."

"I was."

"You do the same when you are walking the estate, don't you?"

"On most days. I think it helps."

"It does. Mr. Quint told me that between you and Jane, Longbourn's income has increased almost fifteen percent over all since you two started using your gifts to help the estate. This includes crop yields, the sheering, and beef sales. He said that expenses are down as well, between Jane helping with irrigation and drainage and you seeing to the health of the people and animals. He even said that he was able to raise rents for new tenants, not that there is much turnover, because of the benefits you bring the tenants and their farms."