Chapter Twenty-Nine

Darcy heard the sounds of battle on the other side of the house. A quick perusal of the yard showed everything in the control of his allies. Thinking of Miss Elizabeth, he soared over the burning roof. He found her struggling to rise from the paving stones. Her youngest sister was there for some reason, covered in debris, helping her sister to her feet. He watched as Sir John checked the condition of Captain Cleveland, then called for Miss Elizabeth. She rushed to the blood-soaked man and laid her hands on his throat. Darcy could see that she had been wounded several times herself, but her gift had already mostly healed them.

Seeing her well was enough for him to breathe a sigh of relief. But he was not yet ready to address her with any semblance of equanimity. Instead, he flew around the boundary of the estate. He found the rest of the militia squads were either escorting the column of civilians through the woods to Meryton, led by Major Francis, or were setting up a new perimeter around the house. Several men were digging the survivors out of the burning tent. There was no sign of further attackers or escapees. He landed beside his friend. "I think that is all of them."

"What of the others?" Bingley asked quietly. He had taken off his frock coat and wrapped it around Miss Bennet's shoulders.

"Miss Elizabeth and Miss Lydia are on the other side of the house. While it looks like they have been active in the fighting, they appear to be without any significant injuries." Darcy said. "The rest of your families are on the way to Meryton, guarded by a squad from the militia. While I am sure they are uncomfortable, unhappy, and most likely concerned about your welfare, I saw no signs they had been attacked."

"What of my family, Mr. Darcy?' asked Sir William?

He stopped for a moment, wondering if he would be able to pick the Mayor's family out of the crowd. "I have no reason to think any in the column were injured. It might be best if you were to go to Meryton to organize shelter for them until transportation, or at least escorts, can be arranged to return them to their various homes."

"If I'm not needed here, that might be for the best." Sir William's relief was clear. He started jogging towards the nearby town.

"Oh dear," Miss Bennet said sadly, "the house ... perhaps I can help." She was pointing to where the upper floors were burning steadily.

"You cannot take any more risks," Bingley said. "You should never have followed out us here."

"I appreciate your concern, but I will not stand by when I can do something. I can fight fire".

"Then go," Bingley said. "I will see what there is to salvage in the stables. With so many guests, there were many more horses and carriages. Perhaps some remain undamaged."

"Darcy!" Sir John's voice carried over the yard. He jogged towards them. "Do we have any prisoners?"

"Four, including one who is an old friend." Darcy gestured to the scruffy strongman. "He surrendered."

"And I'm willing to tell you everything I know. I just don't want to swing." The man sounded much more comfortable than he should have, given his precarious position. Darcy wondered just how many times he had faced arrest and trial.

"Bingley, would you please examine the outbuildings to determine if there is a suitable location where we might speak with the prisoner ..."

"Reilly. M'name's Reilly. It's easier if ya got something to call me other than that guy or the prisoner."

"Someplace we can speak with Reilly."

"I shall return momentarily ... The steward's house is still unoccupied, and seems to have escaped attack." Bingley had disappeared momentarily, leaving a whirlwind in his wake. Darcy was happy to see the grin on his face illustrate the pleasure he took from such an innocent use of his gift.