Chapter Five

"Was this the sort of ... entertainment that drew you from the metropolis to this backwater, dear brother?" Miss Bingley asked archly as the Netherfield party took a late-night tea in the parlor. The two sisters had settled into one comfortable sofa while Mr. Hurst had fallen asleep on its twin. Bingley sat on a matching chair and Darcy loomed over the room, standing vigil by the roaring fire.

"I never met with pleasanter people or prettier girls in my life," Bingley enthused.

"You astonish me," Darcy said. "All I saw was a collection of people in whom there was little beauty and no fashion."

"But what did you think of the purported local beauties, the Misses Bennet?" Mrs. Hurst needled.

"The eldest Miss Bennet is indeed, very pretty," Darcy allowed.

"Come, come, Darcy. The lady is a goddess," Bingley enthused. "A diamond of the first water. A true nonpareil!"

"She," Darcy paused. Miss Bingley straightened almost imperceptibly. "... smiles too much. A grave fault, I know. But there it is."

"Miss Bennet is sweet girl," Miss Bingley averred, "and one whom I should not object to know more of. But her family..."

Even Bingley offered slight grimace of distaste. Darcy thought the mother vulgar, but not too far out of the ordinary either from the matchmakers of the ton, or the farm wives of his estate. He had no desire to be in company with her, but was not certain that his present company, Bingley excluded, was really to be lauded in contrast. As for the rest of the family he had not noticed them among the crowd, none of whom had held the smallest interest for him.

"I had heard Miss Eliza Bennet is claimed as the most gifted lady in the county. The rumor has her as a match for your own peerless prowess. What say you to that, Mr. Darcy?"

"I would as soon call her mother a wit."

Bingley got up, offering his friend a frown, and announced to the room, "I think I have had enough polite conversation for the evening and shall retire. I bid you all a good night."

Darcy returned the good wishes and watched him go. Perhaps that was too far, Darcy mused. I must beware of letting myself fall into the wrong company. It brings out the ungracious in me.

Two days later Darcy was up with the dawn. He sent a footman to rouse Bingley, and remind him they were to ride that morning. He met his host a quarter hour later and they proceeded to the stables where their horses had been prepared. Darcy had a map of the estate and held it open for Bingley to see. "One of the first things you will need to do is have an accurate map of all the important points, farms, and features created. This one is from Mr. Morris, but we have no idea if it is current or exact."

"You propose we ride out and see for ourselves?"

"You enjoy a brisk morning ride. As Master you should use every opportunity to survey your domain with frequency and regularity. Morning rides make convenient occasions for just such regular inspections. With that in mind, where shall we ride this morning?"

"The choice is mine?"

"It is your estate."

Bingley examined the map. After a moment's consideration he suggested, "I should like to see these farms this morning, I think. We should be nearing time to plant winter wheat? Going out to observe how that work is progressing seems worthwhile."

"Very well," Darcy agreed, and they rode on. "One thing to always consider. As the landholder, even on a leased estate, but most particularly when you are the land owner, you are the magistrate and must enforce the laws and keep the peace on your lands. In this instance it is important because you may want to develop the habit of patrolling the wilderness portions of your property as regularly as the cultivated lands. Poachers, vagrants, and other miscreants are often to be found among the forests and dells rather than the roads and fields."