- Chapter Twenty-Eight -

THE MONSTER AND THE BOY

Baekhyun's p.o.v.

The next morning was Baekhyun's father's court date. Baekhyun woke up with a nasty feeling in his stomach and his mouth was cottony and both his forehead and hair were slick with sweat. He felt horrible, and he knew he probably looked it too. He sighed heavily and rubbed his face before turning over onto his stomach and burying his face in a pillow. He laid there silently for a moment, mentally yelling at himself to get out of bed. Baekhyun had many things to do today. For instance, he diffidently had to shower, and he had to see his father before his trial — Baekhyun dreaded that the most.

When Baekhyun was in the shower, he didn't know why, but every bad thought came crashing down on him. The weight of it was so heavy it knocked him over and he ended up curled on the floor of the shower, shying away from the sting of the water as it burned his skin. Baekhyun continued to let the water run until it turned cold as ice because he didn't want to shut it off and worry Chanyeol because he hadn't left the bathroom. But when Baekhyun had gotten control over his breathing, he stood up and grabbed the towel from the rack and wrapped it around his waist. He wiped the condensation off the mirror and looked at his reflection. His face stared back at him — but it was a strangers face, this face was downcast with dark circles under their eyes, and their eyes . . . their eyes were empty, lightless. Baekhyun sucked in a ragged breath and bit his lip against a sob as he wiped his eyes and rubbed a hand over his face in an attempt to compose himself before he pulled the door open and walked into the bedroom. When Baekhyun walked into the bedroom, he noticed Chanyeol wasn't there. Baekhyun sighed both from sadness and relief; sadness because Baekhyun really needed him, and relief because at the same time Baekhyun didn't want Chanyeol to see him so broken. Sighing again, Baekhyun started to get dressed, pulling on a white turtle neck sweater — much like Chanyeol's — that had sweater paws, and a pair of light blue skinny jeans. Baekhyun rubbed the towel through his hair before just pushing it all back with his hands, then he huffed as he dropped onto the bed and laid back; he legs hanging over the edge.

Baekhyun had his eyes closed and was trying to block out the world when he heard the door click open followed by the sweetest, deepest voice he'd ever heard. He felt the bed dip down beside him and a hand brush lightly over his forehead followed by, "Baek, I know today is going to suck, so I have something for you. I hope it helps . . ." Baekhyun peeked his eyes open and glanced up at Chanyeol, who was sitting beside him with worry etched all over his face. Baekhyun sat up and noticed the black bag in Chanyeol's hand. "Close your eyes, Baek," Chanyeol murmured as he reached into the bag. Baekhyun closed his eyes and then he felt Chanyeol putting something around his neck. "Okay, open your eyes . . ."

Baekhyun opened his eyes and glanced at Chanyeol before peering down at what he had put around his neck. It was a silver pendant with the most intricate engraving of a phoenix. Baekhyun lightly touched it before glancing up at Chanyeol, his eyes glassy as Chanyeol murmured, "It was my grandmother's, and she believed it kept everything bad at bay — that it protected her." Chanyeol glanced up to meet Baekhyun's eyes and said, "And now I want you to have it." Baekhyun bit his bottom lip as tears glossed over his eyes and he murmured, "Thank you, Chanyeol, it means so much," as he wrapped his arms around Chanyeol's neck. Chanyeol smiled faintly and muttered, "Anything for you, Baekhyun."

Around eleven in the afternoon, Chanyeol and Baekhyun were waiting at the police station to see Baekhyun's father. Baekhyun kept playing with the phoenix necklace Chanyeol's gave him. It had been a small, sweet gesture, and just the thought had Baekhyun smiling.

It was another five minutes until someone approached them and said Mr. Byun wouldn't be accepting their visit. Baekhyun quickly stood up in reply and said in a too loud tone, "And why the hell not!? He owes me, and the least he could do is talk to his only son!" Chanyeol had stood up the moment Baekhyun jumped from his seat, incase he had to restrain Baekhyun, and lightly he touched Baekhyun's arm and murmured, "You shouldn't push it." Baekhyun just shrugged off Chanyeol's hand and said, "No Chanyeol, he fucking owes me this! He owes me an explanation, and I'm not leaving until I get it!"