April Fools: Chapter Twenty-Seven: Part Two: NGGYU

The silence seemed a bit stifling before there was the patter of little feet on the floor. "Mama!" At the small demand, the little boy I had met yesterday came storming into the kitchen, his arms up and his face red.

The man beside Maricella scooped him up, holding him to his chest as he stood up. "We need to let mama-" He was cut off as Maricella grabbed his shirt, reaching up for her son like he was reaching down for her.

"Hey, baby." She said it softly as he was gently passed over into her arms and he snuggled tightly against her chest, his arms around her neck.

"Miss you." His little voice warbled and she shushed him gently as she turned back to the table.

"Mama is sorry, Jackie. It won't happen again." She brushed his floppy brown curls from his face and kissed his forehead. I looked away, picking up another strip of bacon. I didn't want to intrude on a private moment.

"Are you sure you are okay?" The man's voice was worried and anxious and I nibbled on the bacon, trying very hard to drown it out.

"I'm not okay, Bennett, and that's fine. I need time to recover but I want to, no. I need to have my family with me every step of the way." Her voice was so soft and gentle that it had a strange sort of feeling move through me. I wasn't sure what it was but it seemed to be affecting Bastian as he stiffened slightly as well. "We will get through this. It will get better." Her voice cracked on the word and Lace shushed her.

I glanced over right as Lace pushed the fruit bowl closer to her. "Eat, little wolf. You need your strength." There was an unwavering command in her voice but instead of listening to it, Maricella leaned against her, pressing her forehead to Lace's collarbone as her shoulders trembled.

I fought down my urge to speak, to do something to make her feel better. I didn't have a stake in her life or her pack but that strange feeling rose up again. "You know..." I froze as all eyes landed on me. I inhaled deeply before picking up the muffin Bastian had grabbed me with slightly shaking fingers. "Mundanes have this tradition after they lose a baby." I swallowed hard as I cut the muffin in half and slowly picked up a butter knife. Bastian's grip on my side was tight as a low vibration rumbled out of his chest at the intent looks that were on me.

"What is it?" The question was asked quietly from the pale woman who had lost far too much and I carefully spread some butter over both halves of the muffin.

"They wait for their rainbow." I set one half beside Bastian's free hand before I glanced over at the woman. She was looking at me with wide, red rimmed grey eyes that had a small bit of confusion to them and I hoped I wasn't just going to upset her more. "When mundanes lose a baby, the child that is born after that loss is known as a rainbow baby because it comes after the storm of grief." Realization flooded her eyes as well as a fair amount of tears. "The world is dark right now but you will get your rainbow." I didn't know how I knew but I did but I seriously hoped no one was going to hate on me for making her cry. As it was even my eyes were getting a bit watery because I wouldn't have any babies and no matter how much i talked about it, it still hurt.

"Mama? C'yin?" At Jackson's small voice there was a sniffle and I tuned back to my half of muffin as I slowly took a bite, wishing all the gazes would leave me.

"It's okay, Jackie, mamas need to cry sometimes." She gave another sniffle that had me glancing at her from the corner of my eyes. She was looking right at me and I turned my head a fraction as she gave me a watery smile. "Thank you... for telling me that." I nodded slowly, turning away as Bastian slowly rubbed my side, the action bringing me a fair amount of comfort.

The conversation slowly returned to the table and Bastian and I ate our breakfast in slight silence, sharing bits of food before the others slowly finished up and left. The only ones that were really left were basically the top ranks, Collin, and... I jerked my head to the side as I spotted someone with his head in the fridge, ass sticking out in our direction. He was very out of place, especially in that fucking red and black get up.