Chapter Eight

I felt at a loss of what to do. Lynn wasn't happy. Despite the fact I could only feel her emotions as a whisper instead of a gale force wind like with Amanda, it was clear to me. She was despondent and so quiet it almost hurt me to see. I felt her like a faint whisper in my mind but it seemed so utterly loud under the realization of what I had done.

I had taken away her life in my attempt to save it.

I understood that, could see it back at the precinct. That one little 'I can't.' nearly broke my heart at how absolutely devastated she sounded saying it. I had wanted to comfort her, ease her through the devastation she felt but guilt had me equally torn. I was the reason she had been crushed but I couldn't bring it in me to regret my actions. She hated me for them, I knew she did, but she was still there, still mine and I couldn't regret that.

I glanced at her from the corner of my eyes as she sat with her head bowed, picking at the food on her plate. She was intelligent and kind, her energy was soothing and warm despite how she glowered and cursed at me. She was beautiful too. I could remember how she felt underneath my hands and how giving her flesh was underneath my fingers. She was soft and dainty but there was an edge to her that let me know to be wary and I did not know if that was the witch in her or simply who she was herself but I would respect it.

"So, are you enjoying the food?" Gale's voice was light and she had been directing questions to Lynn all evening but the female would barely respond.

I looked at the tall blond and gave her a wane smile to soothe over her hurt feelings as Lynn remained silent. "Its very good." It was honestly the best meal I had eaten in months. To be fair I hadn't really properly eaten in months either but still, she was a good cook.

"I'm very glad you are enjoying it." She gave me a small smile, her eyes sliding to Lynn as she did so. I found my own gaze wandering towards my small mate. Her shoulders were pulled down and she looked like the very Earth rested on them. I wanted to reach out and take her hand in mine. My instinct was to ease her burdens and doubts but I knew the actions would be violently rejected. It hurt to be rejected like that by her.

Ricktus shifted in his spot before he stood up, gathering his plate and his mate's. "Gale, love, why don't you show Lynn to the room where she will be staying. I'm sure she's tired." I wanted to protest but kept my mouth shut as the blonde female stood up and smoothed down the skirt of her dress and beamed at Lynn.

"I hope the room will be alright." She came around the table and Lynn slowly stood up, throwing the female a half hearted smile that struck me as more of a grimace than anything else.

"As long as it has a bed it will be fine." Her tone was quiet and she didn't even look towards me as she followed Gale from the kitchen. I watched her leave, my gaze lingering in the doorway long after she was gone before I turned back to my plate. I ate the few bites that were left and wiped my mouth with a napkin.

There was a tense edge to the air as Ricktus gathered up everyone's dishes but mine and placed them in the sink. His entire form was tense and I knew the male wanted to speak to me, if not outright attack me. My wolf snapped his teeth at the thought, wanting to take a chunk out of the male's hide for even feeling that. Despite my condition, he was an Alpha and I knew I would have to control his ego until I got back into shape.

"Hun." Gale came back into the kitchen and Ricktus immediately relaxed as he turned to look at his mate. I glanced at her and she looked a bit worried. "Is she normally that quiet with new people?" She asked the question hesitantly and Ricktus glanced at me before shaking his head.

"She has had a rough go of it. She's still reeling from it all." His voice lowered and his mate made a small noise of sympathy.

"Will she be okay?" Her voice was low as well and I disliked how they were speaking like I wasn't there. I was an Alpha by birth and being ignored was grating on me.