Chapter Five

It was dark. Things were... hazy. I didn't know where I was or how I got there. I remembered the shadows attacking me, the cold it brought before nothing. Now I was in a dark and hazy place with no idea how I got there.

Choices, choices, choices.

The voice was soft and rather amused as it echoed around me. I frowned, looking around in search of the source. There was nothing I could see, the voice sounded like it came from everywhere around me. It was too... twilight zone for me. I didn't particularly appreciate that.

Oh this is going to be fun!

The voice sounded way too excited for my liking. "Who the hell are you?" I frowned and turned around. I really didn't like what was going on. The fact I was clueless about where I was, was enough to irritate me but the mysterious and excited voice just sealed my agitation with the entire situation.

Everything and nothing. Your saviour and destroyer. The light and the dark.

"Oh jesus christ." I rolled my eyes, making a noise of disgust in my throat. "I am not in the mood for contradictions." I just wanted to know what the hell was going on. Not to be talked to by an omnipotent being that was acting contradictory and being weird.

"Rather mouthy, aren't you?" At the voice I whirled around. A woman dressed in black with a veil over her face moved towards me. She was absolutely stacked. I didn't swing that way but I could see why some women would, especially if there were women like that around. I looked her up and down as she did the same to me. "Interesting." She walked around me and I turned around with her, too wary to take my eyes off of the woman. "You're pretty enough." She said it so casually that I was a bit taken a back.

"Pretty enough? I think I'm pretty damn attractive." I hadn't gotten any complaints and had quite a few compliments from my bed partners. In fact most of them said I was exquisite. I took that as a high compliment.

"Ego too? Humans are so amusing." She let out a chuckle that had my neck hairs rising. She was so... fucking creepy. I didn't know who she was but she was really not helping my current zen. I was already all sorts of off today and I didn't want to add creepy veiled lady to that as well. "Well, he liked you so I guess I have to do as I said I would." She heaved out a sigh as if what she was going to do was a task for her.

I did not like the sound of that. "What are you going to do?" I couldn't help how wary I sounded. She creeped me the fuck out and I didn't want her to do anything to me.

"Save your life." At that she shot out her hand, grey smoky tendrils shot out from it and they struck me, stabbing straight through my body. I inhaled deeply, the pain was so sharp and quick that I didn't have time to scream. They felt hot and they burned me as they wrapped around me, shoving underneath my flesh. I shook, unable to breathe and unable to move due to the pain. I felt myself suffocating and the woman's laughter rang in my ears.

Choices, choices, choices.

The spikes of smoke twisted in my body and underneath my skin. It felt like snakes and I wanted to cry. The pain was so bad. It was chasing something out of me but it was a bitter and brutal battle that tore through me violently. I couldn't think, couldn't breathe, couldn't move. The pain was everything.

So many choices, little priestess.

I closed my eyes, gritting my teeth as she laughed again. The burning of the smoke grew worse as it shoved into my mouth and nose, burning my eyes and shoving into my ears. I was being covered by it, coated in it, taken over by it. I wanted to fight to scream as it felt like I was being burned from the inside out.