Chapter Twenty-Nine

I woke up on a stone floor, my body feeling curiously light. I blinked rapidly as I took in my surroundings. I was in what looked to be a greek pantheon. I blinked at the soft light and the soft clouds that floated by the large stone columns. A giant mountain jutted up from the soft pastel clouds, it had an almost golden hue. I swallowed and got to my feet as I stared in awe at the sight before me. I couldn't remember who I was or where I had come from but I knew I had never seen such splendour as what lay before me.

"Get away from the entrance. I didn't pull you back here to have someone catch sight of you." At the chiding voice I turned to look. The interior of the temple was dark and there was movement in the back. Something I couldn't see lingered in the shadows. "I said get away from the entrance." With the sharp words I was yanked forward by some invisible force. I stumbled as it stopped, cursing heavily as I whirled around, trying to find the culprit as my eyes immediately adjusted to the darkness.

My gaze found the person responsible and my mouth dropped open in awe. A tall woman sat in a throne carved with obsidian laced moonstone. It glittered and nearly glowed, just like the female who sat in it. I blinked at her rapidly, her skin was like pale moonlight but her eyes were dark, so dark it was like looking into the vastness of the universe. They reminded me so much of someone else. I narrowed my eyes and tilted my head, trying so hard to remember who had those eyes.

"Lace." The name struck me like a heavy blow from her lips. "They remind you of Lace. There are parts of me scattered through all my children." Her tone was smooth as the memories struck me hard and fast, a life I had lived racing through my brain so fast that the pain of it made me hit my knees. I clutched at my skull, giving a cry of pain as I remembered who I was, how I came to be where I was.

Bastian.

An echo of a name that tore through my chest. "What the fuck did you do?" I slowly looked up at the goddess and her mouth tilted down into a small frown. She took me away from him. Bastian, my male.

"Now that is no way to speak to a goddess." She tsked me softly, one bare foot swaying in the air as she held the arms of her throne, watching me with that fathomless gaze.

"I don't give two shits." I got to my feet, my hands curling into fists at the angry panic I felt. She took me away from Bastian. "What do you think you are doing?" She needed to send me back, my heart thumped hard and fast in my chest. I needed to go back home.

"Rectifying a mistake." She looked at her nails, flicking them in my direction in a very clear dismissal.

I sputtered as the anger rolled in my belly. "A mistake?" There was no mistake to be rectified. I was happy where I was. I worked all the time and I was tired when I got home but I got to go home to Bastian and that made me happy.

"I thought you would enjoy it." Her mouth curled upwards slightly as if she were amused and I shook in my spot.

"Enjoy being taken away from my life?" I didn't enjoy that. I resented it. I wanted to go back. I wanted to go back to my cabin, to the large bed Bastian and I shared. I wanted to go back to waking him up from his naps by tickling him and having him kiss me awake in the mornings. I didn't want to be here.

"As I recall you said Bastian took your life away already." She slowly stood up and shook her head, her nearly white hair cascading down her back.

"He did and then he fixed that." He had taken away everything I had known and in return he had given me a new life where I could be happy. He had helped me make the best of the situation and that was all that I wanted. I didn't want to trade him for anything. I loved him with my everything.