Chapter Twelve

I felt uncomfortable and wanted to go to where Lynn was. I had been left alone with her parents and I wasn't sure how to feel about that. They were mundane, it was clear to me but they were... off. I don't think it helped any because I was completely and utterly lost by what they had been saying to Lynn. I felt like there were two distinct languages, one for her mother, and one for her father. I wasn't sure because I hadn't been exposed to the different dialects of the world. I was lost and I didn't like being lost.

"You like it?" Her mother gestured to my plate and I gave a nod. It was quite delicious and the meal made me feel like I had bonded with Lynn over the strange little dinner. Her feeding me, catering to my meal, and being alert of what I didn't care for and what I really liked. "You are a good man, Bastian." She said it firmly and I swallowed hard. I didn't feel like a good person.

"You know..." I swallowed again, setting my nearly empty plate on the small table. "You know I took her... right?" I didn't want them to have this skewed version of me in their heads. I didn't want them to think that I was this hero because I wasn't. Guilt settled like a pit in my stomach. I didn't regret what I did but I did feel guilt for it because it hurt her.

"Oh yes." Her mother nodded rapidly. "Kidnapped her, held her hostage, then saved her life. Yes we know." She gave me a soft smile. "I am blessed with the knowing. Some might call it a curse but how is shaping the future a curse? It is a blessing to know and to help shape the world to be better than what it was." She folded her hands in her lap as she looked at me, tilting her head as she did so. I glanced between her and her husband. He was still eating, using his chopsticks to take bits from each dish.

He must have sensed my gaze because he glanced at me, halting in his movement of putting what looked to be a ball of rice into his mouth. "We understand and we know." He set his bite down onto his small plate. "It matters not how she came to be in your care. What matters is that we know you will be with her from now until she passes. You will take care of her every moment and supply her with endless love." He said it firmly before he turned back to his food and I wasn't quite sure of how to respond to that.

"I would like to say your path will be an easy one but there will be bumps and twists and turns but you two will be happy. You will carve your spot out in the world together." Her mother nodded slowly before her dark eyes landed on me. "She will be upset but I warned her that her path would break her heart. You two will be happy, just keep that in mind when she scolds you." She smiled at me once more before saying something in that foreign language to her husband as he continued eating.

He nodded before gesturing to several dishes and she picked them up before carrying them out of the room. Once she was gone he looked around with a conspiratorial edge. "You want some sake?" He pulled out two small glasses and an unlabelled bottle from underneath the table.

"Papa!" Lynn's angry voice floated into the room and her father chuckled but poured me a glass anyway before saying something rapid in a different language that had Lynn making a loud sound of irritation.

"Drink it quick before she starts complaining." He said the words in a hushed low tone, his eyes dancing with mischief as he held out one of the small glasses, filled to the brim with the clear drink. I took it, the smell of alcohol burned my nose but he took his drink and downed it nearly immediately. I didn't want to be looked down upon so I took the shot. It burned all the way down and I wasn't expecting it. I coughed rapidly, setting the glass down as my eyes watered.

"Stupid idiot!" Lynn's voice was sharp as I thumped my chest, covering my mouth as I continued to cough at the burn. "Sake is a potent rice wine, don't let him goad you into a drinking contest." Her voice was sharp and her father waved his hand in the direction she was.