Chapter Two

Ting

Ting

Ting

Ting

The sound pulled me out of my hazy and still slightly drunk stupor. It was the piercing sound of metal on metal that hurt my ears. I groaned and pressed my face back into my pillow. I hadn't wanted to wake up, there had been no images of the last moments I had been with Amanda. Nothing that had haunted me for the past year. It had just been us, together. Her smiles and her laughter, her soft skin underneath my fingertips and her kindness that always soothed my temper and soul.

I hadn't wished to leave that, to leave the sweet and kind memories of her because it tore my soul open all over again when I opened my eyes and the space where she was supposed to be was empty and cold. I could feel her absence so keenly that it took my breath away. It was a throbbing and harsh ache that never went away. It seemed to grow worse the longer I was without her. That was why I needed the witch.

Ting

Ting

Ting

"Bastian!?" The shouted name made its way up through the run down house and I heaved out a sigh before I rolled over, wincing as my left leg ached and seared with pain. I refused to look at it as I sat up and shifted it over the edge of the bed. Looking at it only reminded me of what I had lost, had only reminded me of the aching hole that was left of my soul. I was haunted by images of a female I could no longer touch, hear, or feel.

Ting Ting Ting Ting Ting

The irritating sound of metal knocking against the radiator grew more frantic and I knew the witch was gearing up for another shouting spree as I rubbed my face. "Get your fucking mutt ass down here right now!" She was mouthy, so unbelievably mouthy that it was unbearably irritating. However, no matter how irritating she was I needed her help. "Bastian!" Her voice pitched higher and I let out another sigh as I grabbed a discarded pair of jeans. I struggled slightly, trying to get my twisted leg into the pant leg without too much pain.

Tingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingtingting

The irritating sound grew more and more rapid. "Hey! I know you can hear me!" Her voice rose higher and I stood up, struggling to pull my pants up as I tried to avoid putting weight on my left leg, wincing as I was forced too. I grabbed the handcuff keys from the bedside table, once again rubbing my face before I headed out of the bedroom. I didn't worry about a shirt. There was no need to hide the scars and that noise needed to stop. It was grating on my ears as I limped my way down the hall towards the basement door.

The old and dilapidated house creaked and groaned underneath my feet and I knew it wouldn't be long until it fell down. I also knew a big reason it wasn't falling faster was because I had lost half of my bulk since the accident. I was a shadow of who I used to be. It was a harsh lesson to learn. I was the son of an Alpha, born and bred to lead my pack towards the future but now I was no bigger than the lower ranks. My muscles disappearing as I healed and with my leg twisted and causing a permanently limp I knew had little chance in getting them back.

I looked at the stairs down to the basement, wondering, like I always did, how to get down them with the least amount of pain. It was horrible being stuck in a body that no longer moved as it should have. I took the first step, my left leg almost buckling as I hastily moved my weight from it to my right. I rubbed at my leg, hating the misshapen appendage that rested underneath my hand.

The witch was continuing her tirade, getting louder and louder as she banged her cuffs more frantically on the old radiator I had her attached to. As much as I wanted her to stop I knew I had to take my time, to measure each step and try my hardest otherwise I would fall. I bared my teeth, I was nearly a goddamned cripple. Me. The son of the Alpha of the Nox pack. I was physically and emotionally weak and what was worse was that everyone in the pack knew it.