Chapter Six

I woke up confused. A small female lay in my arms and I tried to remember what happened. I shifted in the bed, looking down at the small female laying curled up in my arms, her white strip of hair catching my attention. It was the witch. I frowned slightly, shifting a bit underneath her and she let out a small whimper that had me immediately stopping my movements. It only added to my confusion as I looked down at her. I rubbed at my face and winced as I shifted my left leg.

I immediately paused. That sharp pain followed by a dull ache was the only pain that went through me. My mouth went dry at the realization. I immediately thought of Amanda but there was no crippling sadness or despair that came with the memories of her. I was saddened by her passing but it was a fleeting feeling, something that I had endured but made my way out of. I felt an acceptance of her passing, a sadness but it no longer crushed me underneath its weight.

The pain of her was simply gone, replaced by something, or someone, else.

I inhaled sharply at that, immediately looking down at the little witch, tracing her peaceful features with my eyes before my gaze landed on the red bite mark on the crook of her neck. I blinked at it, swallowing hard. I remembered now. I had brought her to Mene, traded my soul for her life and then we had... I rubbed at my mouth, blinking rapidly as it sunk in. She was my mate.

I closed my eyes, searching for it and there it was, like a beacon of brilliant white light in a terrible darkness. A feeling of connection between our two souls. It was vastly different to my bond with Amanda, that one had felt simple, this one had an intensity to it that I was not sure I could explain.

I shook my head in shock at the gift I had been given before a familiar stirring in my mind made me freeze once more. My wolf uncurled from his position, stretching with a yawn. He was there with me, right there. He gave a small whine, nudging me to hold onto the little female tighter. Possession radiated off of him thickly and there was a feral gleam to his eyes. A promise that if anything dared to take this female from him that he would go to the depths of hell and drag them down with him.

I mentally reached out, stroking his fur, emotion saturating my chest and body at the familiar feel of him within my mind. He was right there. He nudged at me, giving another huff before he lay down, his head on his paws as he watched our new female intently. I joined him in the action as I reached out and brushed her silky hair from her face.

Her features were delicate and her skin reminded me of a beach with the golden light of sun kissing it. I brushed my thumb across her high cheekbone, relishing in the feeling of her soft skin beneath my fingertips. Her dark lashes created crescents underneath her eyes and she breathed rhythmically against my chest. I couldn't believe I had once thought her attitude detracted from her beauty. She was magnificent, from her white striped hair down to the long and pale fingernails that topped her fingers.

I grasped one of her hands, feeling the delicate bones underneath her skin. She curled her hand around mine slightly, as if the bond worked on her in wanting me closer. I gave a small smile at the thought. She was just perfect. I shifted a tad more, wrapping my arm underneath her to pull her closer. She made a faint grumbling sound in her throat but settled her head onto my chest without another sound.

I turned my head and looked out the curtained window, the light of the full moon peeked through the torn and threadbare fabric. I could feel a warmth of mischief to the goddess' light, as if she were anticipating the reaction to her little trick. I had asked for her to save the witch, told her I would give her my soul in payment for hers and in the end Mene had removed the pain by tying the witch to me. She had saved us both with one move.

"Thank you." I couldn't help but say it as I looked at the pieces of moonlight that shone into the dusty room. My grip on Lynn grew a little tighter. I doubted a mere thank you would truly pay for what Mene had done for me but I knew it was a decent start. I knew the goddess would take my soul as payment but I didn't mind. She had removed my pain, saved the witch, and gave me a new female. My soul seemed an inadequate payment for that but I wasn't going to point it out.