Chapter 45

WARNING: Explicit scene containing self-harm ahead. Skip the first two pages of Abel's POV if you don't want to read it.

_____________________________

Lucky

     A knock on the door jolted me, breaking me out of my chain of thoughts, I moved away from the door and opened it. Mother stood tall before me, looking conflicted.

"Can I come in?" She whispered, I backpedaled, leaving room for her and she advanced to me, shutting the door swiftly. "I am sorry, I didn't mean to yell at you."

"No, mum. I'm sorry, I crossed a line by saying those things and I didn't listen when you told me to leave -"

Mother shushed me. "You're entitled to your questions but I need you to know that I'm not entitled to give you answers."

I furrowed my brows. "What do you mean?"

"I can't — I won't say anything if all It's going to provoke is anguish." She said softly, driving me to an even greater confusion. I opened my mouth to speak but she strode closer and cupped my face. "Listen to me, you're my child and children should obey their parents. So heed when I say that I love you and nothing can override that. Forget about the woman in the picture, erase her from your memory, okay?" The exclamation point was a hug. I wrapped my arms around her, feeling the need to suppress my confusion.

~*~*~*~

Abel

     It felt like being dragged out from the perfect virtual reality — an alternate universe he'd been plunged into by his sweet shortie, Lucky in a bid to mitigate his suffering. Days with her obliterated every toxic thought he often harbored, her smile alone suppressed his ache for death. The encounter with the math teacher in school earlier had awakened bitter memories. Something about the way the teacher had draped his arm around his shoulders reminded him of the devil in the black kaftan.

He will never leave you be, you could however reunite with him in the afterlife.

     Seated in his room, Abel scrutinised the scissors in his hand, slowly separating the blades, he wrapped his right hand around it, feeling the crisp metal against his calloused palm. He placed his left hand on the desk, spreading his fingers. He began thrusting the edge of the scissor blade into the space between his fingers, on the wooden desk. Abel did this back and forth, between fingers, increasing his speed till the blade eventually missed the desk and broke into his skin, burying its head between his knuckles. Abel pulled the scissor blade out and watched blood ooze from the small cut.

The pain doesn't exist, relish it...

~*~*~*~

Lucky

     I exited the bathtub, stepping on the bath mat. I grabbed my towel from the rail and wrapped it around my body. I walked to the washbasin and peered at the mirror covered by steam. With one hand, I reached out to wipe the mirror until my reflection became clear. I stared at the girl in the mirror, taking my time to study her features.

Forget about the woman in the picture, erase her from your memory, okay?

~*~*~*~

     The term was coming to an end, exams were just around the corner. Abel and I had agreed to meet up at the library so we could work on our debate speech. So here I was, making my way to my partner who sat, resting his head between his arms as he held my gaze.