Chapter 21

Lucky

     Sunday passed by in a blur and It was finally Monday. The student body was at the assembly ground, the only ones missing were: The latecomers, the ones who had been called out for misconduct, and the ones who preferred to hide inside the building during the assembly – Abel Ejiofor belonged to the aforementioned group. Abel was always absent during the assemblies, but he was always the first person to be seen in the classroom, seated at his usual backseat.

     Everyone stood erect and immobile as we sang the national anthem, afterwards we recited our country's pledge and then the Principal addressed us.

"Good morning, students." Mrs Efe David greeted.

We chorused a reply and she continued.

"I needn't remind you that your second continuous assessment test starts on Wednesday."She boldly announced, earning everyone's complaint.

CAT on Wednesday...? How come I'm just finding out bout It?

"It's because the prefects were told to announce it at the close of school last week." a soft voice answered behind me.

Realising I had said that audibly, I turned and met Isabel Douglas. "Isabel? How come they didn't?"

"They ordered everyone to wait behind after the close of school, remember? When Senior Israel announced it...?"

Oh!

"Oh, I do remember something like that..." I replied, now feeling foolish for not waiting behind.

Don't blame yourself, It's because you were anxious to ask for permission about attending Bisola's birthday party so you could see Abel.

Wow, I see my foolishness even clearer now...

"... you didn't wait behind." Isabel stated the obvious. "Don't feel bad, you're not the only one...People sprint out of school before the bell even rings whenever they hear the word 'announcement' from a prefect's lips." Isabel sniggered to herself. "You know they always use that as an excuse to punish us – sanitation and all..."

That wasn't my reason though...

It would've been better if it were...

"Heh... yeah."I nervously laughed.

     Here's how it works: In a term there are two continuous assessment tests and an examination, then collation of results. Week four is when we have the first CAT, week eight is our second CAT, then week twelve is our examination.

"Decorum, please!" Principal Efe David ordered, flapping her arms like a fish out of water. "As I was saying, comport yourselves, I do not want any malpractices or playing of tricks on your teachers!"

     Series of laughter erupted from behind, riveting everyone. It was Ebimo and his entourage, they were at the end of the SS 2 boys line, surprisingly Bola was with them, he was sporting a black arm sling on his left arm. They were laughing and slapping hands, totally oblivious to the eyes on them – either that or they simply didn't care.

     Senior Israel walked up to Ebimo, he briefly whispered in his ear and Ebimo's laughter instantly died, he put on a grim expression as he glared at Senior Israel.

     Following suit, Ebimo's friends abruptly quieted down. Bola who was ahead lifted his gaze and met mine, I instantly turned around facing the back head of the girl ahead of me.

Mrs Efe David shook her head in disapproval and continued. "To your classes... and please keep the fighting to a minimum this week."

     Mrs Efe David sauntered away and we all dispersed, approaching our respective classes. On my way, I caught sight of Naomi's signature grey bob braids and ran up to her, she noticed me and slowed down so I could catch up with her.