Chapter 34

There are far too many silent sufferers. Not because they don't yearn to reach out, but because they've tried and found no one who cares.

~ Richelle E. Goodrich

Lucky

"What beans?" Naomi feigned innocence, looking around like she was searching for something. "I don't see any beans around here."

"Look at this yeye girl..." I sneered at her, folding my arms. "Talk joor."

"There's nothing between us." It seemed like she was trying to convince herself, and she wasn't doing a good job.

"Ehn ehn, You is a lying girl."

My friend burst into laughter, I rolled my eyes. "Fine, just stop giving me that 'mum' look." There was a brief pause before she spoke up again. "I like him a lot but I try to conceal it even though he might already know. We've kissed a few times but I wasn't lying when I said there's nothing between us, we're not dating."

"Was that so hard?" I asked, nudging her, she rolled her eyes and smiled.

I spoke again. "So, why aren't you guys together if you're both crazy about one another."  

"You nko?" Naomi retorted. "You just told me King Kong poured out his feelings and you just fooled him."

"Don't change the subject!" I cautioned her.

Silence.

     Naomi's countenance suddenly dropped, she got serious, she remained quiet for so long that I thought she wouldn't speak up or say anything concerning the matter. But then she dropped a bombshell on me, shocking me to the core.

"his name's Isaac, he's my cousin, he's a few years older than me." She began messing with her cuticles. "one day... he came in my room and... he locked the door."

"Jesus..." I already knew where she was heading.

Whoa...

     Words had failed me, never in a million years would I have imagined a thing like that happening to Naomi, my Naomi. She was always so fiery.

Question someone not only when they don't smile but do it even if they do smile. Some people might be a second away from Rock Bottom.

"he-he wasn't able to um... penetrate me because my brother saw him through the window and he broke the door. He beat him to a bloody pulp but the pig had already done enough to leave me traumatised." I walked into her and embraced her as tightly as I could. "we were so close, he was basically my brother too, you know. I walked around in underwear in his presence! Normal things I did before my own brother."

"I didn't know that I was actually exposing myself for attack." She sniffled, trying so hard not to cry but her voice was already breaking. "It destroyed our relationship with his parents. He's my dad's brother's son. My dad doesn't speak to his own brother anymore, and somehow I feel guilty, like I tore the family apart."

"It's not your fault." I candidly replied. "he chose to destroy the family. He's nothing but a pervert who deserves to be castrated."

Her sobs and sniffles were audible. I found myself blinking tears away as I did my  best to comfort her.

"I know I'm mean and rude at times but I swear, I'm not a bad person..." She croaked out.

"I know, baby."I said softly, caressing her back. "You don't have to tell me. I know you."