Chapter 5

Lucky 

     Two hours later, after talking about nothing and everything and a few episodes of The Vampire Diaries whilst drooling over Damon Salvatore, I was finally on my way home. I really had fun with Linda, I had really missed her, I hated the fact that we couldn't hang out like we used to, but I knew I couldn't do anything to rectify the situation.

     I got down from the bus I had taken to Linda's, I began walking down to my house. As I walked down the pavement, I noticed the sky had dimmed, night was fast approaching. Most of the stores were closed, some Hausa men had already set their stands and were now preparing their suya. I crossed my arms and scanned the area for any suspicious looking figure.

I hope I don't get raped ...

Okay, I admit it. I'm being paranoid.

     I made a turn, and continued walking faster, my long braids swayed as I walked. A tall hooded figure emerged from a barber's shop, he had one hand against his ear and the other clutching his phone against his other ear. His lips were moving but I couldn't hear him. The song – no kissing baby by Patoranking and Sarkodie blared through the speakers, I looked away and continued walking. Suddenly, I heard someone calling my name, I recognised the voice so I stopped walking, I turned and realised it was him, the hooded figure was now approaching me, he was wearing cargo shorts and a black jumper, the sleeves were pushed up, revealing his tattoos, a cigarette sat between his lips, he was constantly huffing out smoke. I rolled my eyes, turned around and waited for him to come closer.

"Damn, girl..." Fabian uttered.

"How did you -"

"that ass, It's really, really..."

"Fabian." I warned.

"sorry." He muttered as he took a drag, I stared up at him and he looked down, huffing out smoke, his demeanour had now changed. "I called you..."

"I didn't see it." I replied truthfully, he fixed his gaze on mine. "my phone's switched off."

"I know..." He said, then looked away, chuckling humourlessly . "you probably turned it off the minute you read my text."

"no, no, I swear, I didn't." I said, he nodded looking at his shoes, shoving one hand in the pocket of his shorts.

Silence.

"Let's go, I'll walk you home." He said, jerking his head in the direction I'd be going.

"Thanks." I said, we turned and started walking side by side.

     At this point, It was already dark but the streetlights were on though. We sauntered in silence, I mildly flinched when Fabian's calloused hand found mine, I looked up at him but he wasn't looking at me. He gripped it tightly when I tried to pull away.

"Fab-"

"Lucky, please." He pleaded, I didn't say anything again because he had called me by my name and not 'kiki', plus I sensed something in his voice, so I let him hold me while leading me home. "I need this..."

     About ten minutes later, we were standing at the front of my house, staring at each other, Fabian still hadn't let my hand go, he was acting really weird that night, like something had been bothering him but he couldn't voice it out.

"On saturday..." I started, he took a drag of his cigarette and waited for me to finish. "where do you want to meet?"

"are you serious?" I nodded, his eyes lit up. "Ma-my house."