Chapter 12

Ivan showed up at the hospital. I knew he was planning on making this his final purchase before he retired and turned everything over to Ryder. He also said he wanted to check in and make sure I was settling in well. I nodded my head vaguely, trying to ignore him. I didn't want to talk to him. I dispised the man. He kept talking about Reid and his new wife moving to New York City for a new life and starting fresh. I ignored him. It was a bunch of bullshit. Ivan was the least sentimental man I had ever met and I was not buying any of the mushy mushy small talk. He picked up that I didn't want to talk to him and eventually wished me a happy life and left. I was greatful for his exit.

After work, I went to the grocery store. I was checking out with a few items when I saw a magazine by the conveyor belt. The headline read:

BACHELOR BILLIONAIRE, RYDER DANIELS, DUMPED BY HIS ASSISTANT?

The picture on the front was of him walking out of my house on his way to work. I was shutting the door in the background.

Next to it was another one that was titled:

RYDER DANIELS REBOUNDS WITH MODEL, LINDSAY WILSON.

It hadn't been that long, and he already had forgotten me. I was nothing already. It broke my heart. Then I realized, I was his assistant. I was nothing compared to Lindsay Wilson. She's a model and beautiful and I was his assistant. I shouldn't be surprised by this at all. Our relationship was a joke. He couldn't of ever felt the things he did for someone as bland as me. It's ridiculous. I need to move on.

I bought my groceries and left. I caused him this awful publicity. I didn't handle the situation right. I hid my face in case anyone would recognize me and tears stung my eyes, but I suppressed them. I was moving on from here on out. I was going to be strong. No more emotional bullshit allowed.

The next two weeks, I went about my life like I was fine. But I knew I was drowning with all the suppressed emotions on the inside. My brothers were in God knows where, doing God knows what. Patrick was between L.A. and Chicago constantly with the firm. It was always just me alone. I lived alone, ate alone, slept alone. It was awful. But it's something I've learned to grow used to.

One warm, spring night, I picked up a double at the hospital to cover for nurse who's father was in the hospital. It wasn't uncommon for me to be willing to cover for other nurses. It's not like I had much of a social life here.

It was 2 o'clock in the morning when our phone rang. EMTs were on the line, alerting us that a woman and her husband were in a car accident and that the woman was 7 months pregnant. The man was fine and being brought by a separate ambulance, but the woman was in pain. My heart raced like it usually did when we got patients like this. My adrenaline was pumping because I knew I was needed here. I jumped out of my chair and started preparing beds, ultrasounds, and IV kits. I was finally doing something worth my time. Not dumbass shots or giving saline to dehydrate dumbasses who don't know what the hell bottled water is.

Me, the four other ER nurses, and four non-specialized nurses starting warming blood and preparing for the incoming patients. We paged our on call trauma doctor and an OBGYN. When doctors are on call, they typically just sleep at the hospital or if they live close enough to the hospital, they go home.

Almost 10 minutes later, we heard the sirens. No doctors were here yet, causing some panic amongst the nurses, but I wasn't worried yet. I had taken extra courses in college to prep me for situations where a doctor isn't present. I'm ready to take action if a doctor never comes.

An EMT rushed in with a woman on a gurney. She was obviously pregnant. He started spitting out imformation. I wasn't listening to all the dumb shit they tell you like the name or age or gender. She was obviously a woman. You can't get pregnant without a uterus and a uterus makes you a woman.