Chapter 8

I stood there, leaning on the wall, trying to decide the best way to approach this.

Ryder was staring at me. He could tell I was thinking hard about what to say. He didn't help when he sent my mind for a loop as he approached me and placed his hands on my waist. He looked at me in the eyes and was about ready to speak, until we heard a knock on the door. I hesitated and then removed Ryder's hand to open the door for who I assumed was Reid. I was wrong. My 3 brothers stormed into my room. Furious with me. Patrick yelled.

"Viv! You had us worried sick! What the hell were you thinking running off like that?"

"I needed to breathe. I couldn't there."

I looked down. Avoided the eye contact of my brothers and Ryder.

"Viv. What did his letter say?"

I debated if I wanted them to read it or not. It was personal, but I loved and need to trust them. So I went and retrieved the letter from my dress pocket and handed it to them. They stood in a circle and read it.

At this point, Ryder sat on the couch. He didn't want to interrupt or be rude. I went and sat beside him, leaving a couple inches between us. After a few minutes, they looked over at me and Ryder. Ryder smiled lightly, not being able to sense their mood as they glared at them.

"Viv. Who is this?" Cormac asked.

"Who is Viv?" Ryder whispered to me. I smiled.

"Me. My middle name is Genevieve. So they have always called me Viv."

I looked back up at my brothers who were still glaring. Well, all except Cyrus because he had met Ryder previously in San Diego.

"Cormac, Patrick, this is Ryder Daniels, my boss. Cyrus met him on a business trip a couple weeks ago."

It looks as if Cormac and Patrick had a moment of realization when I introduced them to him. Cyrus must have mentioned Ryder and I to them at some point.

Ryder stood and stuck out his hand for Cormac and Patrick to shake. And they did.

"So Mr. Daniels, what are you doing here?" Cyrus asked.

"I meant what I said about Alexandria back in San Diego."

I blushed and looked down recalling on his words.

Alexandria is different. A good different. She's like nothing I've ever seen before. I'm completely intrigued by her. She walks in a room and I'm instantly mesmerized. I want to be here for her every day. I never want to be without her, which is a feeling I've never had.

Cyrus nodded at him, smiled, then winked.

"Cormac. Patrick. We need to go back our bags. I want to be in New York before dark."

And they left. Leaving Ryder and I alone. I was still sitting on the couch and Ryder sat back down and joined me. He lifted my chin and made my eyes meet his.

"Alex. Don't shut me out. Please."

You could hear the plead and urgency in his voice. He sounded like he was in so much pain. It hurt me to see him like this. And then I realize this is probably only half of what he felt watching me. And that hurt me even more. I impulsively made my decision, and it was to trust Ryder.

I looked in his eyes, cupped his face with both my hands, and kissed him with a gentle passion. His hands landed on my back as he pulled me in deeper. I knew I loved him in this moment. His eyes and figure and his passion and caring and kindness was everything I wanted and needed.