DFS: "Daddy Issues" 1

Descendents: Forgotten Sister

"Daddy Issues" short story

Chapter 1: The Margin

I never understood the saying 'old habits die hard' more than I did today. We were still getting into the hang of things of living in Auradon without giving ourselves away. The first thing I did was spell my kids an entirely different wardrobe then what they had on. They had to look like they belonged. Just like I did the same to me except that it wasn't just a wardrobe change that I did for me, but I gave myself a completely different face illusion. So although, I didn't really change my face, people saw a different one. I mean I was on live T.V. at the Cotillion allying with Uma, I doubt anyone would so easily forget me.

"What do you think?" I said posing looking at Rhea and Gil. Gil narrowed his eyes at me as he rubbed his chin in a thinking motion.

"You sure look familiar," Gil frowned.

"That's cause she is," Rhea frowned, "Were you thinking of Jay just now?"

"What?" I said looking at her as I stifled a laugh, "why would I be?" How in the apples did she know? It was just for a second.

"Cause you sure as apples look like that Looney chick girlfriend of his," she replied biting into her apple.

"Ugh!" I complained face palming. "Let me try again." I thought of a different look and I felt my magic vibrate through me.

"Now that's a bad seed I'd want to grow from," Rhea said before I opened my eyes. "But what about the illusion?"

"You mean this isn't Auradon enough?" I frowned.

"Your hair's still the same," Rhea replied. I sighed. I kind of like my fiery orange hair.

"Whatever, I'm keeping it," I replied, "it just matters about it looking natural enough."

Anyway, appearance wasn't really the hard part. Thieving was our issue. See, the kids were so used to taking what they wanted, but if we were going to make it here, we could only take a little amount that would not be missed. See, people could probably lose a five and find it odd, but not question it, they lose twenty, then there's a lot of questions and questions lead to reports and reports go up to the King, who I have no doubt will know what's going on and find us.

So it's the limit on thievery that my kids are struggling with. They didn't seem to understand that the less we steal, the more we get because the longer we're on the down low, the more we could steal. After taking a swim at the docks at Mermaid Harbor with the dolphins that seemed to follow me wherever I went, I sat on the dock letting the sun dry me.

"Hols!" I heard a voice say making me open my eyes. I turned to see Jordan and Carson running toward me. I smiled as they both took a seat at each side of me.

"What's up, boys?" I asked

"We came looking for you," Car replied.

"Any sign of Uma?" Jordan asked.

"Not yet," I sighed, "but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop looking."

"Would you be this persistent in finding one of us if we were lost like she was?" Carson asked. I turned to look at him before ruffling his hair.

"Of course, nothing would stop me," I replied before gathering onto my feet, "now let's go home. Breakfast isn't going to appear on its own. Race you to the end of the dock." I heard the two complain as I booked it to the end of the dock. I was close to winning when I bumped right into someone.