"Daddy Issues" 9

R.I.P Cameron Boyce

DFS: "Daddy Issues"

Chapter 9: Zero to Hero

"No, no!" I complained taking the posters and advertisements suffocating the bakery walls. It was a picture of me eating a cupcake with the words 'the Hero's favorite bakery!' "Take these down!" Rhea was laughing in the corner as I fought for the fliers from Mrs. Fruends hands.

"No, do you know what this free advertisement would do for our little dessert shop?" Mrs. Fruend argued holding the fliers out of reach, "you are the biggest thing since the cotillion when the future Queen turned into a giant flying lizard!"

"Um, I'm pretty sure she turned into a Dragon," Alana said hanging upside down into the dessert counter being held by the feet by Carson and Jordan balancing on Cyrus, "I don't think she does that whole lizard thing, sss." Alana made the lizard hiss sound gathering attention forgetting her and the boys were in the middle of a 'dessert-stealing' operation. Before Mrs. Fruend could lecture them, Mr. Fruend popped up behind them lifting up Alana and helping the boys off Cyrus.

"Way to go, big mouth," Jordan grumbled.

"I'll show you, big mouth!" Alana shouted launching at Jordan's arm with her teeth ready, but Mr. Fruend clasped onto her waist and rocked her to calm her. I didn't miss Mr. Fruend sneaking them each a cookie before returning to the back as Mrs. Fruend turned back to me.

"Come on, Hope, this won't last forever," Mrs. Fruend insisted, "let us ride the wave for now. Once you get replaced for a dog taking in lion cubs, I'll take them down." I looked at the hopeful look on her face and I let out a sigh.

"Fine, but only until I become old news," I replied. Mrs. Fruend smiled as she smashed me in a hug. I smiled feeling the warmth envelop me and I leaned into the hug resting my head on her shoulder.

"What is she doing here?" I heard Rhea ask. Mrs. Fruend and I pulled away and ice traveled down my blood as I saw Mal get off her purple scooter with green flames on the side. She was taking off her helmet and shaking out her hair.

"I forgot to pack Ethan that dessert I promised him," I told Mrs. Fruend quickly excusing myself and rushing to the back of the bakery before I could be seen. I hid behind the door listening to Mal get welcomed in by Mrs. Fruend.

"Hi, is Hope around?" Mal said using her fake sweet voice, "thought I could give her a ride to school." My heart was hammering in my chest trying to will Mrs. Fruend to not invite her to the back telepathically, but it clearly wasn't working as she spoke.

"Oh, that's so sweet," Mrs. Fruend smiled, "Hope never told me she made friends with future royalty." Mal laughed with a fake sweet tone.

"I'm not really...well, yet," She said kind of mumbling.

"Well, she's just-" I was suddenly moved from the door as Mr. Fruend opened it and stepped half way out.

"Been missed," Mr. Fruend finished for his wife, "said something about running late."

"Oh, well then, guess I better go meet her," Mal said excusing herself. I let out a sigh as Mr. Fruend came back in. I smiled at him.

"You know, I'm starting to see who the real softie is," I teased.

"Nevermind, she's in here-" he said swinging the door open.

"No!" I gasped grabbing his arm trying to pull him back, but he pulled me forward to the front showing that Mal was no longer around. I turned to glare at him as he smirked with a mischievous twinkle in his eye.