"Daddy Issues" 8

DFS: "Daddy Issues" 8

Chapter 8: An Answered Outcast's Prayer

Dre's P.O.V.

Maybe, I should have sold her out the moment I saw her. Maybe, I should have exposed her from the moment I saw her. Now, she was here under a disguise and so close to the King. But a part of me thought I might be judging her too harshly. A truly evil person wouldn't have saved Lex and I from a bear. A truly evil person wouldn't have returned after hearing my screams and lift the tree off my back and prevent it from doing permanent damage. It was her kindness that makes it possible for me to keep chasing my dream. And the more I watch her, the more harmless she seems. The worst I've seen her do so far is sneak out at night to sleep in her home where her siblings excitedly waited for her.

I couldn't even fault her for that. What I would give to be able to go home to my family every night, but mine was too far away. I stopped following her at night after the first week. I was currently heading to Chad's room as he asked me too. I knocked on the door and entered when he answered. He was somewhere in his bathroom.

"I was practicing my sword- fighting," I said, "what do you need? I was busy."

"A knight is never too busy to serve their Prince," Chad said. "Do you think Evil waits?"

"And what Evil is bothering you now?" I asked crossing my arms. Chad came out in his pajamas.

"Your hair is wet," he said as he went back in the bathroom and grabbed a towel.

"I showered before I came," I explained as he walked toward me and put the towel over my head and began drying my hair with it. "Since I was drenched in sweat from practice." I reached up and stopped his hands and looked up at him. His blue eyes locked with mine and we both froze as we realized how close we were to one another. I felt his hot breath on my lips and my heart hammered in my chest as I looked at how close his lips were. I quickly stumbled back in recovery. I couldn't look at him as my cheeks heated up.

"You've been acting really weird since that girl's shown up," Chad said studying me. "What is going on? You follow her around and god forbid our hands touch. Something is clearly bothering you that you're not even sleeping at night. And you practice and train every chance you get now like if you're preparing for something."

"What are you talking about?" I frowned, "I sleep."

"Right, and those circles under your eyes aren't real," he retorted.

"It's nothing," I said stealing the towel from his hand to finish drying my hair, "anyway, what evil is bugging?"

"I bought a new recliner," Chad said walking away from me and I followed. I stared at it before looking at him. "It's extremely uncomfortable, so I want you to break it in for me." I stared at him.

"That is not an emergency, Chad," I said through gritted teeth.

"I'll have you know back pain is the greatest of all evil," Chad said, "now chop, chop, protect your Prince." He motioned to the chair and I opened my mouth to argue, but he halted me with a hand. "Do you want to be a knight of Charmington or not?" I let out a huff as I went and took a seat in the recliner. The chair was soft. I felt like I was sitting on a cloud. I had no idea what discomfort he was talking about. Chad touched the side of the chair and it reclined and my legs lifted up. "Don't mind me, I'm just testing out the mechanisms of the chair." He began playing with a small remote. I suddenly felt a vibration start on the back rest and the leg support as the chair began to massage me. "How do you feel it?"

"It feels good," I said relaxing into the chair as it worked it's way through my stiff back. "Do you want to try?"

"No, I want you to test it out and if you don't feel reenergized, I'm sending it back because that's not what the promotion said," Chad retorted, "and as the Prince, I deserve top-tier." If this wasn't top-tier, I had no idea what was. There's no way anything beat this. Chad set down the remote as he went to answer the knock on the door. I closed my eyes enjoying the feeling. I heard the door shut again. "I also need you to check for poison. I told mom I was feeling homesick and wanted some Charmington pastries and instead, she sends me pastries from a second rate shop."