Chapter 21

I am still confused because I still can't make sense of what ummah was saying. Is she going to go just like my mum? Was she saying goodbye to me already?.....

   "Are you sick" I asked unsure of the weight of the words "Talk to me umma I can help you. I own one of the biggest hospitals here in new York please talk to me"

"No! Zayn am fine. Miss Rebecca told me about your nightmares and I felt guilty for not been there. You know how much I love you my son and I would rather die than watch you hurt" she cupped my face in her old hands making me to focus "I will never leave your side any longer"

    I felt the long time pain crashing down in my heart as I leaned on her and cry as much as I can. My tears were not planning to stop anytime soon and I could feel the motherly love and comfort in her embrace. I have been broken since I lost my mother, her death made me heartless but weak inside. I only knew how well to make money and businesses prosper. I lacked love and compassion. 'How could I love again when I will be left alone'. My dad was more broken than me and I detested life anything I hear him speaking to himself and crying. I still remember begging her not to go, not to leave a hopeless young boy alone to the pain of the world, asking her if she really loved me as she claimed and if she did why would she be so sick without even looking at me. I lived with a great scar in my heart since the day I saw her been dragged out of the hospital covered on a complete white clothe. The memory haunted me till today and everyday as I wake up I pray for release because I was breaking already and can't hold it any longer.

     "My dear child you will be fine" with those words of assurance I drifted to sleep

     AMIRAH'S POV

   Thinking of what kasim said earlier made me to realize how much I needed to shower. I dragged myself into the restroom like a lazy school girl, turning on the shower I allowed the warm water arrest my pains and worries. I was still enjoying the warm shower when I heard my cell ringing and i rushed out immediately knowing it could be an emergency in the hospital. As I guessed it was Nurse Patricia on the line.

   "Yes, what is it Patricia"

    "There is an emergency ma and its requires immediate surgery. You are needed in the hospital now"

    "Owk I will soon be on my way"

    I got dressed immediately and rushed out of the house with my shoes in my hands. I drove as fast as possible because a minute late could cause a great loss. Heading directly to my office to get ready for the surgery and get information on the patients I was surprised to see kasim seating on my couch with his legs crossed.

   "Owk, I have a surgery to perform now so we will discuss when am done" I said without paying much attention to him

   He stood up and walked towards me with that grin that usually say he is up to something. "Calm down Amirah there is no emergency. Owk my bad, there is a case but she is not ready for surgery now till later in the night so I decided to drag you here by asking Patricia to lie so we can go on a date"

    "A date?" Instead of been angry I was only surprised

    "Yes date! Today is our first day as lovers remember?" He waved his hands dramatically

   "I thought I made it clear I was not interested"

   "And I also made it clear that I was not asking so let's go now before I lose all my charms" Without a warning he opened the door and dragged me out of the office to his car.

   "Where are we going to" am just too curious and I can't Even hide it

   "Its a surprise and adjust your shoe its not properly zipped" ohhhh I totally forgot about my shoe. I was dressed in a free silted maroon gown that was designed with stripes of threads and I was beginning to wonder if I was wearing the right outfit for a date. I scanned my body again to make a final judgment to my outfit when kasim interrupted me

   "You look beautiful so stop checking yourself out" I smiled at his power to the use of words .  "Owk here we are!" This looks very expensive and classic

    I stepped out of the car and entered the restaurant with kasim by my side like a loyal husband. This was the very restaurant Emma always talks about. Our reservation was a couple table close to the window at the very end of the restaurant. We took our seats before giving out our orders to a fine man dressed in a black shorts and plain white shirt. As we awaited the arrival of our order I decided to scan my new environment. The building was made of glass that reflects back like a mirror. I could see the streets, ocean and almost the whole of new York from the inside. It was indeed a beautiful sight and worth the money. My attention was drawn back to the restaurant as the waiter placed our orders on the table.

   "How is your mums program in Africa"

   "Good" I replied immediately as I filled my mouth with the strawberry shortcake.

    "I hope she is not attending those her yoga classes anymore because I have no strength to participate in her trainings." I couldn't hold my laughter as I remembered how mum used to make us participate in her daily yoga practice. I laughed more as kasim reminds me of the past experience he had whenever he came visiting us.

    Zayn's POV

   "Excuse me sir, this way please" I am so happy meeting with the African American investors on health insurance. This was a contract I had prayed to work out for years. I made my way to the table of five men and had my seat after exchanging pleasantries with each one of them.

   "We are very happy to finally meet the best neurosurgeon in town. It is my great pleasure to finally meet you in person" said one of the investors

   "My pleasure sir am happy to meet you all too. May we proceed with the meeting please" I said sharing out the contract files to everyone before proceeding with the contract in details. Everyone was happy by the time I finished my presentation on the project. They all agreed it was a good idea and a worthy work. We were still discussing on the economic state of the countries in African when I heard that familiar laughter across the hall. I involuntarily turned towards the laughter and there she was sitting like a queen on her throne ruling over a kingdom of men. I was still mesmerized with her beautiful smile without noticing the man next to her. 'Who could it be'?