Chapter 13

Dedicating to Abdullahi Ahmad and Zainab Ahmad(My wonderful cousins)...............................

     Even to a flying bird this was a country to stare at for sometime. The floor was completely covered with snow as everyone passing by was on a jacket and head warmer. It was usually like this whenever the winter came uninvited in New York. Amirah was adjusting her jacket when she sighted a familiar face, it felt like she had known him all her life but the question was where?. She kept staring like it was going to make her remember the person but it seems like it was only in a movie. After standing for some minutes she adjusted her jacket once again before going to the hospital. It's going to be a busy day for her so she decided to attend to the important list on her schedule first.

    Zayn was still sleeping unaware of the time as he dragged the blanket over and over again to feel warm. Miss Rebecca has been expecting him downstairs for breakfast but there was no sign of his coming and he was running late for work so she went up to his room to see things for herself.

     "Zayn get up you late for work" She said gently tapping him

     "What time is it" he asked forcing his eyes open

       "Its past eight already and you are late for work" She announced like it was meant to get him scared

       "Oh God I must have overslept after praying the fajr prayer. Did anyone call"

        "Where you expecting a call because no one did"

         "" No no no.... Maybe am just down with the weather I will take a break today. Could you tell my secretary to inform the hospital I won't be coming today and please don't wake me up now until it's time for prayer really need to get more sleep" He pleaded as he went back to bed cuddling in the blanket like a scared child.

        Miss Rebecca nodded to no one in particular as she took her leave.
    Why can't I get her out of my head, what exactly is wrong with my heartbeat anytime she is close to me, how do I explain this to my head when even my mind is lost?
     Zayn kept asking questions of the heart trying to figure out what's wrong. He has not been the same since that first day, that first look with the expression of a survivor. How could i think straight when she keeps surprising me with a wonderful behavior and charisma. Mum was right when she said your heart speaks more than your head. When I was young and mum came to my room looking sad and sick. I had asked what the problem was and with a smile on her face she said.

     "My Baby I want you to know I love you and whatever happens I will always watch over you"

     I was totally confused as I asked the only question my brain could help with
     "Mum are you sick"

      "I am dying" She said trying to hold back her tears that were overpowering her

     "Mummy! Please don't live me alone" I cried as i gave her a hug that was when I realised she has become weak and tattered. She looked different and tired probably tired from life already

   "Always be the man that never gives up on his dreams, be a cheerful giver and when you find love someday fight for it with all you have. You will know when the love is true because your heart will speak for itself. Always remember I really love you" I never understood the meaning of those word until I grew up into a man and once more I can feel that empty vouch my mum left in my heart.
      Zayn remembered his mum filled with emotions and pain before saying a silent prayer for his dead mother.

      Amirah was trying to round off all her activities in the office early so she could check on Emily and her mom. Since the first court hearing she haven't seen any of them. She gathered her unfinished files as she left her office and locked the door. She was hurrying out of the office when she noticed the empty chair and desk in Zayn office.