14

Reader's POV-
Dan sat in the corner of Phil's room, his knees tucked tightly against his chest. Tears streamed down his face as he watched the responders working with Phil's lifeless body. Dan had been pushed out of the way when they had arrived, left to watch as his friend began to fade away right before his eyes.

He watched as a very tall man put a tourniquet onto Phil's open arm. A small woman took his vitals. When they both seemed to be done with their jobs they both took a side of Phil, gently lifting him up onto a stretcher. The man began to push the stretcher out of the room, yelling something inaudible to the woman before disappearing.

The woman took Dan aside. She put her hand of Dan's arm, squeezing it gently. She told Dan that her name was Maisey Sheen.

"You saved his life." She said.

Dan looked down at her, he couldn't stop his crying. In fact it seemed to be getting worse. He began gasping for breath, wheezing loudly. Maisey directed Dan towards Phil's bed, telling him to sit. The next few minutes were a blur. The only thing that Dan comprehends is when she tells him that Phil will be in hospital at Greenway Hospital. She gives Dan another squeeze on the shoulder before running out of the apartment to meet the ambulance outside.

He looked around the room, seeing that everything was a mess. Phil's furniture was thrown around the room. Everything had to be moved when the responders had arrived so that the stretcher could fit into the room. Everything on his shelves had been knocked onto the floor, leaving papers and books and knick knacks strewn about. The worst part of it all was the spots of blood staining the carpet were Phil had been moving around, this led to the large puddle of red pooling just next to his desk.

And almost as if he were in a hypnotic state Dan began gathering cleaning supplies. He moved everything back to its original placement, organized his books and everything else that was on the floor. He began scrubbing and scrubbing the floor.

"Dan?" A voice said from the doorway.

It was almost like Dan hadn't even heard the voice. He continued scrubbing the blood stains on the floor, tears streaming down his face and blurring his vision.

"Dan?" The voice spoke this time, this time Dan felt a hand on his shoulder. He looked up to see PJ standing over him, a mixed look of concern and confusion overcoming his face. "What is going on?"

Dan attempted to answer but anything he said just came out as a mumble of gibberish. He continued to scrub the floor, not making any eye-contact with his friend. PJ stepped over Dan, staring at him from across the soapy stained carpet. He took Dan by the shoulders, shaking him slightly.

"Dan." He said again.

"Phil," Dan blubbered out, his eyes glossy from tears.

"What happened?"

Dan stared off into the distance. His face turned red before he said "Greenway Hospital," and burst into sobs.
~