10

Dan
It was nearly time for the doctor to come. He was simply just coming to test Phil on his mental health. We had carefully picked out his wardrobe. The house was chilly, we were both dressed in black jeans. Phil wore a cozy blue pug jumper and I wore a striped black and white pull over.

I heard the door ring, I got up to answer it.

"Mr. Lester?" The man said, extending his hand for me to shake. "I'm Dr. Millard Harrison."

"Uhm, no. I'm Daniel Howell, Phil's roommate." I said as we shook hands. I took him to the lounge where Phil was watching the television, hugging a pillow to his chest. He seemed nervous.

"Phil?" I called. He timidly looked up from the show. "This is Dr. Harrison."

"Hello." His voice was the quietest I had heard.

"What seems to be the problem today, Mr. Lester?"

"I-I- well..." Phil stuttered and looked to me for help.

"Phil has been feeling a bit..unhappy." I said calmly. The doctor nodded and began opening his bag. He began looking into Phil's eyes and ears with a light, then listening to his heartbeat. He did a full work up with him.

"Good news Mr. Lester. You're as healthy as a horse physically. My concern is with what's going on the inside. Do you mind answering a few questions?"

Phil nodded in agreement.

"I'll need to call my partner, she specializes in Mental Disorders and Well Being. I'll just have to get her on video chat. It will only be a minute." He said, pulling out an iPad. When a woman answered the phone the situation was explained and he sat the screen down in front of Phil.

"Let's give them a little bit of time alone, do you mind if we step out?" Dr. Harrison said.

"Yes, of course." I replied, walking him to the kitchen.
~
We were sitting on the sofa with Chinese. An orange bottle sat on the coffee table in front of us, we both stared intently at it. I thought back to just this afternoon when we entered the lounge once again to see Phil still sitting on the sofa, his uncomfortably blank expression giving me chills. The doctor had left the apartment to meet with his partner, saying he would call when they had made a diagnosis.

It hadn't taken long before the phone rang. Phil, afraid to answer, handed the phone off in my direction. Dr. Harrison sounded rather serious this time around. He spoke professionally.

"Mr. Lester, we believe, has what in the medical field we refer to as Manic Depression, otherwise known as bipolar disorder." And then went on with ways that we could improve his behavior and the possibilities of medication that could help him. A prescription was soon sent over from the pharmacy, which brought us to now.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked him. He had barely touched his food, not even making the smallest dent in his chicken.

"I'm not hungry." He replied. His eyes continued to watch the bottle.

I scooted my glass of ribena closer to him. "You're going to have to take it, Phil." I opened the pill bottle and took two pills out, his dosage.

"It means I'm weak."

I looked into his eyes, once bright as ever now seemed dim to the world. I could feel my heart drop as I heard him speak, stumbling over every word he spoke.

I just wanted to love him.

"No, Phil, it means that you're strong enough to accept help."
~
Phil
Dan left the room to wash the dishes in the kitchen.

"You're going to take the pills while I'm gone, yes?" Dan had nagged me. He had left the medicine on the coffee table next to my drink.

Weak ass motherfucker. You've gone and made Dan think your a lunatic.

I had said yes, I just wanted him to leave me alone.

You do not need these.

When Dan left the room I threw the pills away, never to be seen again.