11

Dan
I looked at myself in the mirror. Today was the day that I was finally going to tell my best friend how I was feeling. I was afraid, nervous, excited. I didn't know what to expect. My hands shook as I thought about what I was about to do and I couldn't help but rehearse my words.

"I'm bisexual." I practiced saying. "Phil, I'm bisexual."

"I like girls...and men?" I tried repeating it in different ways.

I sounded stupid. I rubbed my chin, pacing back and forth a bit. I heard movement coming from the room next door. I waited for Phil to come into the room and tell me to stop pacing or crawl into my bed with his laptop, two things that had become a regular occurrence in the past month.

The truth was that Phil being alone scared me and I think he knew that, even if I had never said anything about it to him. Maybe he had been awake sometime out of the 17 times I check on him every night. Either way, if Phil knows I'm awake he's by my side.

I heard footsteps and a door close, then a very sleepy Phil opened the door with his pillow under his arm.

"It's 3:00 in the morning."

"Sorry." I said quietly.

He flopped down onto the bed, covering himself with my duvet.

"Are you okay?" He said, his voice groggy and quiet as he rubbed his eyes with his pale fists. I breathed in a moment and suddenly I could hear myself talking.

"I'm bisexual."

He sat up now, seeming a bit dazed. I continued to talk without thought.

"I-I...well...I like girls. I have liked girls. I always have and will but there's something more in me that has the ability to love more than just girls. I like boys too. In fact, there is one I'm pretty fond with. I just- Phil..I feel like this is something that not only my best friend but my flatmate should know. And I know it's so early and I don't know if any of what I just said was comprehensible but..it's who I am." I said.

Phil stared at me for a moment before I watched him get out of bed. For a split second I even thought that he was getting up to leave my room.

The next thing that I knew was the feeling of Phil's lips on mine, cold but soft.

"I'm in love with you, Dan."
~