Chapter 6

I drank from three more Moroi and killed a few dhampirs before I left for the estate. I could have fed more, I really wouldn't mind but it was nearly dawn. The sun would be out soon. When I entered the building, Galina was standing outside her office. She didn't look like she was talking to anyone. She looked lost in her own thoughts. When she spotted me watching I nodded at her and walked away, up the stairs and into my room before she could say anything.

I sat on the bed feeling fresh and more alive. I felt restless, stronger than before. I knew I won't be able to think properly feeling like this. I looked out of the window. The sunlight wouldn't affect me because the windows were heavily tinted. It's like this in all the rooms. For humans, it would look solid black but for us it was like wearing sun glasses. Everything outside still looks the same but dimmer. I kind of miss sunlight, feeling the warmth of it on my face. Back when I was a dhampir, I slept in daylight so we were used to the night time, I loved sunlight then. That's the price to pay if you were a strigoi, and it is worth it. To have all this power, it's worth everything.

I looked at the mirror on my dresser table. The creamy wall behind me was all I saw, Strigoi had no reflections, I could look like a mess and I didn't know. I looked away. I need a plan. She trusts me enough to leave me second in command and it's been a while since I thought about my plans against Galina. What am I going to do? How will I kill her? When? I need more time. I felt fustrated that I had no idea how to get rid of her. 

Instead, I lay down on the bed and thought of Rose, the woman I had loved when I was a dhampir. What would she think now? Does she know I have been awakened? I shook my head. I should stop thinking about her, she's my past.  This . . . this new life . . . will be my future. I grabbed the novel I left on the table, opening it from the page I left off.

When night crawled in, I left the room early and headed towards Galina's office. I want to get rid of all the work she'll give me today by doing it all now. Suprisingly, there was nothing to do so I went to the maze instead. I don't know why but the maze now interests me. I get free time from everyone else and from the crap Galina makes me do and come here so I could just be...alone. I walked in. I know the whole maze thoroughly so there were no worries of getting lost. I sat there on the grass for an hour or two before one of the guys from the estate appeared.

"Ready Belikov?" He asked. At first I didn't know what he meant but then I remembered. We were going to feed now. I finally relised how much I was starving. The guy who asked for me was one of the guys in our 'feeding group', Chris.

"Yeah." I replied, got up and left the maze without another word, Chris followed behind.  

We didn't know where to hunt. We all suggested different places. In the end we all agreed with Nathan. As much as I hate him, he did have a point. I doubt the dhampirs would come to try and kill us again. I weakened them enough that it will take a while for them to find replacements. When we went to hunt the ten dhampirs, the victims there had blood that smelt better, the people there were more healthier than the usuals. I'm in the mood for healthy blood, they always tasted sweeter. Plus, their alleys are huge so I won't have to see Nathan's face when I feed. 

When we entered I nodded my head to the others and went straight for a victim, quickly bringing her to the darkest corner of the alley. When I was finished, I dumped the body behind a large object and waited for what seemed like forever. Where is everybody? They should have been here ages ago. I fed of another human but they still didn't come. 

I decided to explore the night club instead. Maybe they went to feed again...keeping me waiting. I sighed angrily. I just made it out and onto the streets when three of them (including Nathan) appeared eyes wide with fury and shock.

"We thought you were dead." One of them, Chris?, said.

"No, no of course I'm not dead!" Realisation hit me like a storm. "Wait...What happened? Where's Al?"

"Those dhampirs came....." Nathan panted, he didn't have to tell me who he meant. I already knew, it was the four that escaped. "They were on him. He's dead." And that's when I noticed the bloody hand poking out behind the bin.

"You," Galina shouted,pointing at me. "have to kill them." 

"I won't let them get away this time. Besides, there's only four of them. Easy." I replied cooly. The other two Chris and Nathan remained silent as if they weren't there.

"Wait." Paul interupted. "There's more than four of them. There's a female that's joined them. Long black hair, tanned skin and she looks American. She seems to be the leader. They're stronger than before now that she's with them" I froze. That would fit Rose's description, it could be her. I mentally shook my head. No, it's not her. She's back at the academy focusing on keeping Lissa safe. Galina saw the change in me. 

"What is it?" She demanded. 

"Nothing, I'm just a little worried."  If it was Rose, she may have a chance to kill me. No, it's not her! I kept repeating in my head. I turned to Paul. "How do you know they have an addition to their group? How did you find out." He hesitated before answering.

"I had just finished feeding. I was going to come to you when I heard something. Fighting. I stood far and watched. They were questioning him, the new female one. I couldn't hear what but they killed him in the end. I think he refused to what she was saying." Questioning? Why would any dhampir do that to a strigoi  of all creatures. Galina seemed to keep her own thoughts to herself. After a while she began to talk.

"We'll let them live for now. They are smart, smarter now with that girl. We need a proper plan to get rid of all of them this time. Nathan, Dimitri stay back. You two can go." They both left with no hesitation. Galina called the human she always has in her office asking her to call the other three men that were here for the attack with the ten unpromised ones.

"I want you all to come to my office at twelve every day for the next week to discuss the plan. You've heard haven't you?" Her question was directed at the other three, not me or Nathan. They all nodded at the same time in response. She turned to me. "Any ideas?" I shook my head.   

 "Why don't we just kill them there. We're better than them. We have strength and speed as an advantage on our side. That guy...what's his name...got killed by them because he was outnumbered. If we all hunt together and have more people on our side, we'll outnumber them. They'll be dead quickly." Actually that might work. Galina bacame even more angrier, if that was even possible. 

"That's what they expect us to do. We need something that will surprise them, That moment of surprise can let us strike." I'm pretty sure that'll happen to you very soon, I wanted to say. Before any of us could respond a man I didn't burst through the door in pure anger and shock. He looked at Galina as if expecting her to already know something. 

"What are you doing? Can't you see I'm busy discussing something?" 

"Galina, there's been another attack by the same group that killed Al. They've killed two more of your men."

*******************************
x_aNoNYMouSTaCHe_x