Chapter 13

The days after that had been the same. It had only been a few weeks. Yet, even in her weakened state, I was still unable to convince her.

I would visit her at least twice, everyday: once during the day and once in the evening. Inna would check up on her about three times a day (which was when she would deliver the meals to Rose). She would take care of the necessities such as laundry, food and any other thing Dhampirs need.

The only flaw with preventing Rose's escape was Inna. Being a weak little human she is, would allow her to be overpowered. Rose would then be able to easily escape captivity. But, in her state of mind, it would be difficult to come up with a plan. Inna, however, was the best human option as both girls had little knowledge of either Russian or English.

If Inna ever did confess to the codes on the doors, it would obviously be in Russian. Rose is most likely unfamiliar with Russian numbers. Therefore, she will not understand.

If she does manage to pass that, she would be defenceless against sixty Strigoi and without a weapon. Her chances of escape are extremely low, impossible in my presence.

I honestly don't think I need to worry about Rose ever escaping. She was happy here. With me. Why would she ever want to leave? She has everything! A flat screen TV, a luxury estate to live in and me. She had always wanted me. That had been confirmed the other day; when we kissed and made out and when I had first bit her...

Even after weeks have passed, she had never caused trouble nor has she ever shown any sign of wanting to escape. Obedient as she is, which is actually much more pleasing than her usual self, I still felt like I was slowly losing my patience.

I wanted to awaken her. Turn her now. But forcibly awakening her would cause too many problems. Every time I brought up the subject, she becomes uncomfortable and denies my request. I'd smile and casually change the topic. Every refusal teased my patience, and made me bubble with rage. I am aware that she is frightened of my anger, so I keep it under control. The last thing I would want is for her to fear me.

"Let me see your neck," I said one day.

We were lying side by side, as usual. She was on her side and I had snuggled up against her back, one arm draped around her waist. She rolled over and brushed her hair away from where it had fallen, exposing her neck.

"Already?" She thought I was going to bite her. She braced herself, arching up in anticipation. I reached into my pocket to produce a necklace I purchased before arriving here. It was white gold, encrusted with three dark sapphires. I had started buying her jewellery, in the hopes that she would be able to truly realise the luxury and wealth she would inherit as a Strigoi and as my partner.

At the Academy, she wasn't the type of person who was fond of jewellery, but now (without the stress of being a guardian) she had time to marvel at the common things women were in to. I honestly don't see the point in having useless objects. Sure it looked pretty but does it help you in any way?

The only benefit I receive from presenting my gifts was that it was helping me gain her trust, and she soon wouldn't be able to deny the inevitable.

She stared at the
necklace, in amazement. I placed it against her skin before fastening it at the back. I smiled slightly, nodding in approval.

"Beautiful." My fingers drifted to one of her dress straps. I slid a hand underneath it, making her shiver. "It matches."