Chapter 3

I head shot up to the smell of humans . . . their blood. I stood up, stunned. I placed the book I was reading on the coffee table. How can I have not noticed before? The smell was intoxicating. Wait . . . I sensed them in the building. Here? That would save me some time, I could drink off them here. It saves me the trouble of heading to Novosibirsk. But . . . they must be here for a reason, if I fed off them now I may be in trouble with Galina. I can't afford to make a mistake like that, especially not on my first day. I must gain her trust, it is crucial that I do. The element of surprise is one of the best advantages in combat.

I looked out of the heavy-tinted window to see night had come, or day in my case. My hunger was strong now, I had to get out of here. With a sigh I looked at the time. There's only fourty five minutes to get to Galina. Not good.

I shrugged into my leather duster (the only item of my belongings that I managed to get back from the academy), and ran out of the room. I rushed down the elaborate stair case with vampire speed and out into the cool night air. Only to bump into Galina. She remained impassive but I saw a glimpse of surprise in her eyes. It was almost as if she forgot I had joined her as a Strigoi.

"I expect to see you at my office at nine. I'll show you a way out of the maze. You need to learn your own way round. You must be quick, you don't have very long." She sounded menacing but I knew she was trying to be nice. It was almost impossible to be nice as a Strigoi. We weren't created with emotions like humans. She turned away, running with vampire speed. She expected me to follow, and I did, obediently.

She was right. There was a hedge maze surrounding the building, the only way to enter or leave, was to pass through here. The maze looked beautiful with the precise cut edges of the bushes and the night blooming flowers. Finally, we reached the end of the maze. She said it was the shortest way, and I memorised every turn as much as possible. To my left, there were the faint lights of a city. Novosibirsk. Turning to her, I nodded and ran. It probably won't take long to reach there now that I am faster than I used to be.

The night club was loud, the music, deafening. I searched for a victim fast. A young human girl about seventeen with straight blonde hair danced on her own. The way she moved . . . I could tell she was drunk. I watched her till she leaned forward . . . falling . . .

Swiftly I managed to catch her, smiling. It was all part of an act but she fell for it as I led her to an alley from a back door. Without warning, my grip tightened and bit into her soft skin.

She moaned with pleasure, her steady heart beat now thudding frantically in her chest. The taste was sweet, and relaxing as I drank deeper but there was a slightly awkward taste that seemed to bother me. It must be the alcohol. With alcohol in her system it affected her blood and made it taste different, but not in good way. It gave her blood a sharp, spicy taste to it that did not suit the sweetness of blood. I had never liked alcoholic beverages during my years as a dhampir, that must have still remained with me.

I pulled away, dropping the corpse. I felt strong and powerful, like I could take down anything life throws at me. The best feeling in the world. Now, I must get to Galina. There wasn't much time now. I rushed back to the estate and at the maze exit Galina left me before and entered. The way . . . the way . . . I struggled to recall the path! Then, it hit me. And in seconds I was facing the front of the building. I entered, the place was still breath-taking, I don't think I'll ever get used to the sight. I looked at the nearby clock, only five minutes left. I sighed in relief and relaxed, walking to her office. What does she want me to do anyway? I hope I don't mess this up . . .

*****

So this was her way of earning so much money and having such a beautiful estate. Smart . . .