Chapter 18

We Strigoi just love hunting. No matter what mood we're in. Whether we're happy or sad, amused or angered. Like me. Rose is beginning to think rationally about everything. She's starting to understand what I have to offer, and it surprised me. Even when I am angry, or pleased like I am now, hunting still remains as a good option to pass time.

Trying to make a dhampir, no, moroi guardian understand the real life of a Strigoi, it's like pushing a mountain. It's impossible, yet I alone, have managed to do it, and it is satisfying. I'm proud of achieving such an accomplishment, I don't think anyone has ever attempted.

I'd like to celebrate. And what other way can I do so without a hunt? This hunt would be different though, more challenging. I won't hunt humans, dhampirs or even moroi. I am going to hunt . . .

Strigoi.

I'm going to hunt Strigoi. Combat against dhampirs isn't much fun any more. Also, to defeat Galina I need to train myself against Strigoi like her. Which is difficult, but I like taking challenges. And she is it. The ultimate test to prove my strength and power amongst others. If I am able to rid her of existence, what will that prove? It shows that I am above her, therefore above anyone below her.

This hunt will be entertaining as well as educational, in a way. During my time at the estate, I have been studying everyone who works for her. Loyalty and obedience for her is what all the Strigoi have, as well as jealousy for her power. From what I have observed, there is a high chance that they would support her if I ever attack. Therefore, taking down multiple Strigoi at once is a skill that is relevant to have.

I can't however, hunt down any Strigoi from the estate, or I will get into serious trouble from Galina. So, it may be difficult to find any but I am determined. Before I start, I should feed off moroi blood. I will only be able to hunt at my strongest.

Once I was full of blood, I began my search. And it was surprisingly easy. Many of the Strigoi hung around pubs, or at alleyways to feed. Once I'd approach, they'd assume I was a dhampir due to my build and because I'd avoid eye contact, so they can't see the red in my eyes. Also, because I moved too fast for them to try to pinpoint what I was, or my purpose of approaching them.

What shocked me the most was the fact that they didn't register the fact that blood didn't pump around my body the way a dhampir's body would or that my heartbeat matched the rhythm of a Strigoi's. That subtle detail would instantly define my species. As we have incredible hearing, we can detect the heartbeat of anyone, including other Strigoi.

Then again, what kind of Strigoi attacks another one for no particular reason? Apparently, here, it's just me.

The moments when the shock of me being a Strigoi hits them, I strike. I clamp my hands against their throat and snap their necks. I don't want to kill them, yet. Snapping their neck just paralyses them for a few minutes, allowing me to transport their bodies elsewhere.

Once I had gathered about four Strigoi, I would individually drag them towards a forest. This forest is huge and very far, away from civilisation, which is perfect. No one would be able to hear them scream, which is what I had intended.

The forest looks just like any other forest. Lots of ancient trees are rooted here, they stand tall and strong. The greenery, however, tells a different story. Well, it wasn't even green. Even when spring was approaching, the leaves where a dull orange and brown colour, autumn themed.

The grass matched the depressing theme, dry and lacking moisture. The forest overall lacked life. Many humans avoided coming here due to rumours about this place being 'haunted'. Even animals disliked living here. The forest did look abnormal, compared to the lushious greens of plants outside the forest.