Chapter 2

The first thing that surprised me were her eyes. I should have known this, that her eyes would be red after being awakened but it still shocked me. It made her look different especially with the pale, pale skin she had. Natural for our kind. And it made her look fierce.

"Galina." I acknowledged, and bowed nervously.

"What are you doing here?" It was more of a demand than a question. It was pleasent to be able to speak my own native language, after so long. Her face was impassive but I knew she was startled to see me too, awakened.

"I want to join your estate. I was a great fighter as a guardian but now . . . like this . . . I'm stronger and faster. With my strength and inside knowledge of the royal court, I will be a useful asset to you"

"True . . . Teaching you had been an honour to me. You were one of the greatest guardians and one of my best students. Now that you're on the right side, I don't see why not. But, you make one wrong move and you're out. I don't care if you make an excellent addition to this estate, you better watch what you do and only answer to me. Everything I order you to do must be done. Have I made myself clear?" I didn't like the way she spoke to me but I couldn't afford to disagree with her. Not yet.

"You have my word." I spoke with false loyalty, making my argument sound more convincing. I had nowhere to stay and it was nearly dawn. I needed shelter away from the sun so I'd have to stay here and agree to what she said. I didn't want to live here like a slave but I had no choice.

"Your room is . . . " she stared at the papers she just grabbed from a folder and flicked through them. "Room 32, it's on floor 3. I expect you to start working for me at 9pm. Meet me at this office and I'll give you your first task. Do not mess up."

"Yes." It irritated me to agree to such demands but I managed to and focused on remaining impassive. I didn't want to look weak, not in front of Galina. Nathan had already left, probably bored with the introduction.

"You were recently awakened, yes?" She didn't wait for me to answer. "If you ever need blood, do not delay your instincts. This can make you go crazy and you won't be able to control yourself. You will become savage and kill anyone in your way. Even those you don't want to. Their will be a lot of trouble so I am warning you now." she looked away. "I have known this . . . from my past experience." she murmured the last part.

I nodded. "I must leave, dawn is approaching."

"Yes, I don't want to hear any problems about you from the others." Her voice turned fierce as she looked at me.

Again I nodded before leaving the room. I wasn't exactly sure where my room is but I didn't think it would be hard to find it. As her office was close to the entrance, I managed to find my way there in seconds. The same strigoi was still here, operating the security systems. I approached him calmly.

"Hey, do you know where room 32 is?" I said in a failed attempt to sound nice.

"Turn right after the third flight of stairs." His words were just as blunt as his expression. He motioned to the stair case I hadn't noticed, behind me. His face suddenly hardened. "Wait, are you the new guy?"

"Yeah,"

"Don't get in my way, ever. If you try to destroy my status here, I'll kill you." He threatened.

"Hey! What's your problem with me? I was trying to be nice!" I growled in uncontrollable anger. He lunged at me, fists ready for attack. I responded quickly, half expecting his attack. I grabbed his fist, twisting it painfully before pushing him against the wall, front first.

"Don't mess with me!" I snarled. I pulled away, realising I had caused a big scene. Fortunately, no one was around. The man grinned.

"Not bad, Belikov." He continued to smirk. I turned away on my heel, towards the stairs. "It's Marlen, by the way." I resumed to walk away, slightly startled as realisation slowly struck me. He was only testing my strength, not pulling up a real fight.

I took the stairs at a regular pace, drinking in the opulence. This will be my home, I will have to adapt to it. I was at the top of the third flight of stairs before I turned, arising past the doors. All the doors had a metal plate nailed to the front, coated in gold. Each one had a room number carved on the surface. I searched each door, looking for the correct one . . . 30 . . . 31 . . . 32!

I didn't hesitate to enter, I pushed the door open. My mouth parted in a gasp.

My room was nice, really nice. Everything looked expensive. There was a big flat screen TV on the wall, the bed was made with a blood red silk fabric, the windows were made with a deeply tinted glass that could be seen clearly for us but enough to block sunlight and the carpet felt soft even through my shoes. I could get used to this.

I began exploring the place. The room had shades of red and gold that blended together to make this room classic yet beautiful. There was also a expensive bookcase lined with new and untouched novels. The whole room made the royal court seem casual. My previous assignments as a dhampir before the academy was to protect an Ivashkov at the Royal Court. I had done this for two months. I remember seeing his room and how amazed I was. This room didn't compare. Once again I felt so glad I was awakened.

It hadn't occurred to me that I was lacking a few necessities. Like really lacking. I only had my leather duster and the clothes I am wearing (my personal belongings are at the academy). I was still wearing the same clothes, from when I was turned. My shirt has a small dried blood stain, near my neck.

From the corner of my eye, I noticed a dark coloured wardrobe that strangely matched the brighter colours from the rest of the room. I strode over to it, opening it. From the left side, there are clothing for women hung, all in different sizes. On the right side, there are mens' clothing. I picked a cotton T-shirt and jeans, slipping them on, before sitting on one of the plush arm chairs. They fit like a glove.

I need to think of a plan. Galina, as a dhampir, was badass. I look like a newbie compared to her. Now that she has increased strength and speed, and that she has more experience in her new life than I do, she is more of a challenge. I have a very small chance of escaping death against her. I love taking a challenge but the odds are too risky. I need help. But who can I seek it from? I don't trust anyone here.

I let out a sigh of frustration, before letting my thoughts drift back to my time as a dhampir. How could I have been so stupid, to risk my life for anyone, let alone those imbeciles? It must be a dhampir thing because many of them hold these fake beliefs. I am also not influenced by school teachings and moral expectations, which I had been before awakening. Human foolishness mixed with moroi idiocy are what makes a dhampir. I am just grateful that I have realised that everything taught about a dhampir's 'duty' is false. Especially those three words that were drilled into my mind as a child: they come first.

What was the point in risking your life for others?

You'd just end up getting yourself killed.

***********************************
x_aNoNYMouSTaCHe_x