Chapter 5

"You killed him!" She shouted in Russian. "I thought of you as the perfect role model yet you kill Samuel. One of the strongest men here."

"He tried to kill me." I replied. "He tried to. What do you expect me to do? I can't let him kill me because you don't want him to die." I tried to stay calm but I couldn't help raising my voice. This would probably get me into more trouble and worsen the matter but I couldn't help it.

"You must of done something. Samuel isn't not the type to pick fights for no reason." I didn't think he would.

"He's jealous that I'm going to be in charge of the attack against the dhampirs. He said so himself . . . in a way."

"How would he have known?" She sounded like she was talking to herself rather than me. She seemed to calm down a bit but I could still see the anger in her eyes. What really bothered me was that she said it like she knew anything and everything that ever happened. Like she's a god. I looked down. She didn't seem to be that angry with me. She must understand. If someone tried to kill me, I'd kill them first happily. It's what we all would have done. But if it was Rose . . . I don't know what I'd do. Why was I thinking of her now? She's not here, she's dead to me.

 "You must be punished." My head shot up instantly and I stared at her, wide-eyed. "When you go on this errand I want you to awaken a strong dhampir, in replacement for Samuel. Maybe even stronger than him. You do know how to, don't you?" I nodded and relaxed. That wasn't so hard. It wasn't much of a punishment, in fact, I shouldn't be punished at all. It was just her way of making me do extra work.

She left the room. Nathan stood there gaping and looked as shocked as I felt. When he saw I was staring at him, he turned around and walked away.

"Not gonna work Nathan." I said quietly. He spun around angrily. He was going to say something but stopped himself. He turned away and stalked off. I closed the door and sat on the fake leather chair in my room. I was so close to taking Nathan's place. He's like a deputy chief when Galina isn't around. I could have made myself look purely reliable in just days. I was doing so good. Now I'll have to wait longer to gain Galina's trust. This errand . . . I must do it. If I kill the dhampirs in an effective strategy, that would please Galina. She thinks I can kill all five on my own. But to find a strong dhampir . . . it's hard to tell. They all were weak to me. Even I had been weak. Now, as a strigoi, I'm stronger, faster, I'm who I was meant to be. 

Somehow, I must test each dhampir before I kill them. The one worthy enough will be awakened. But how will I find the right person?  

I sat on one of the expensive chairs in her office again. She had called to see me. She looked at me, revealing no emotion. The fear I felt for her was the reason why I wanted to get rid of her. She's the only one that truly frightens some part of me and I hated it. Plus, she is the only one who could kill me (except maybe Rose) and I want to take control over this place.

"You're now second in command." She said calmly. I couldn't speak, I was too shocked to say anything. "You must be wondering why. I'm still angry with you for killing Samuel. People like him are rare, but you're right. If someone was trying to kill me, I'd kill them first." I nodded.

"When you killed Sam, it also proved how strong and skilled you are and that you're not the type to hesitate. You're like me." That was reassuring to hear from her, makes me feel more confident when I kill her. She looked at the time. "You must go, it's nearly time to attack. I'll send for the other four to come." She was talking about the plan to kill the dhampirs. After a long day of planning, we were ready. We found someone in the estate who was strong enough to come with us and temporarily take Sam's place, so we were ready. Usually, we wouldn't plan attacks but if the dhampirs killed a lot of us and still lived, hell they must be strong. For dhampirs anyway.