Chapter 14

I didn't say anything for a while, letting her think about what I said. She seemed too startled to speak. I must have told her too soon. This isn't good, I could already tell she didn't trust me. If she did, we would be running to Novosibirsk to feed and Galina would already be dead.

I took her back inside, walking past Marlen who ignored us. I took her up the stairs and back to her room.

My worry increased as she continued to remain silent. What was she thinking? I have to try to make her forget.

I snaked my arm around her waist, pulling her closer to me. She had looked to be deep in thought, but it vanished as she softened in my arms. She snuggled closer to me, as I began to caress her skin slowly. I leaned in, kissing her deeply. She responded, returning the passion. She brushed her fingers through my hair, urging me to move closer. I did.

I stroked her bare leg, pushing her skirt up to her waist. I had tried to distract her from thinking too deeply about what I said. It seemed to have worked as she hadn't repulsed against my seduction. Unfortunately, I realised, I was beginning to struggle with controlling myself.

Her warm hands slid down my neck and to my shirt, as she slowly undid each button. I slowly pulled away, my lips moved down her neck and shoulder, implanting hungry kisses on her delicate skin. I pulled down the dress's strap, my own eagerness intensified.

She pulled at my shirt, in an attempt to tug it off. Realisation struck me, as if a bucket of water had been splashed on my face. I have to stop this, before we go too far. I wouldn't have much to lure her into turning if we don't stop.

I can't believe the thought of it with a dhampir is something I wanted. I jerked away instantly, glad I had realised before it was too late.

"No," I spoke sternly. "Not yet. Not until you're awakened."

'Why?" Her voice was desperate and pleading. Pathetic. "Why does it matter? Is there . . . is there a reason we can't?" Of course there freakin' is! I wanted to shout, except I would have used another certain 'f' word instead of 'freakin'.

She's a dhampir. The thought of one of those things and a strigoi, is truly revolting. It's like having a wolf and a rabbit as partners. I hid my disgust from my face, and attempted another method of seduction. I leaned in to the side of her face, and to her ear.

"No, but it'll be so much better if you're awakened. Let me do it . . . let me do it, and then we can do anything we want . . ." My voice was soft and gentle (as 'gentle' as a strigoi can sound), in the hopes that I sounded convincing. I had witnessed her desire for sex, it had been so obvious. She must have to agree now . . .

"No, I . . . I'm scared . . ." she stammered. I have to admit that had really shocked me. I was so sure she would say yes. Even in my disappointment I was surprisingly calm. I did however find it humouring; my brave and reckless Roza is scared.

I relaxed, indicating that I wasn't angry with her. "Rose, do you think I'd do anything that would hurt you?"

"The bite . . . the turning would hurt . . ." Terrible excuse. Did she really mean this or is she making it up? I couldn't tell. My anger was slowly rising. I admired her strengths and resistance before but now it was becoming annoying.

"I told you: It'll be just like what we've already done. You'll enjoy it. It won't hurt, I swear it." I wasn't lying to her, it really doesn't hurt and it only takes a few minutes.

She turned away. "I don't know," I released her and sat up, so that I could properly face her.

A choice no dhampir has ever gotten before, a chance to become part of the most superior species on Earth and she is stupidly avoiding it. Why? Why won't she agree? Why does she have to be so stupid and stubborn about it?