Chapter 1

The image above is Dimitri :-)

*********************************

I could feel the cold night breeze, not that it mattered. The cold didn't affect me any more but I still wore my leather duster, to blend in with the others wearing their coats and well . . . I like wearing it. Even as a Strigoi, that habit had never changed.

The music was loud, really loud. I expected the music to be like this. It still wouldn't be very loud for humans but for us, it was deafening. We entered the building, me and Nathan, to find the noise unbearable, I couldn't stand being here. I came here for a little snack an the way.

After reaching here, it was tiring and well . . . I haven't hunted in a while. I looked around for any dangers. No, no dhampirs here. Good, I wouldn't be able to fight properly in my famished state. I scanned the area and targeted my victim. There! I saw a young, attractive human women standing at a dark corner. She was in a blood red strap dress about three inches above her knees and had long dark hair spilling over her shoulders. Her eyes shone with delight, and her skin held a slight natural tan.

She looked like Rose.  

I mentally scolded myself. No, I can't think of Rose now. I watched her. She smiled, her body swayed in rhythm to the music. I ran through the crowd to reach her. I will have her, she made me realise just how much I missed Rose and that was . . . unnerving.

"Hello." I finally managed to say to her in Russian. She looked shocked but responded with a charming smile.

"Hey." she replied. And our Russian conversation began, I need to make her trust me and flattery would help.

"You look beautiful." I commented. Warm blood reached her cheeks as she blushed, and I twitched, too tempted to wait any longer. She was just food to me, no more. I could bet she thought otherwise. Oh, how she'll never see it coming. Her life was just minutes away from ending---

I led her to the small alley at the outside corner of the night club, eyes roaming everywhere for any threats. There were none. It was cold and dark here. Perfect. I held her close and kissed her neck. She froze at my touch, probably noticing how cold my skin was, seconds later she relaxed. Once awakened, my skin became cold. Ice cold. 

It was surprising how she never noticed my eyes. My blood red eyes. As a strigoi, the colour of our skin changed. It goes pale, really pale like white marble. And the eyes... they are ringed in red. Lastly . . . the fangs. In order to live we need blood and we will kill our victims in order to get it.

I was now just an inch away from her neck and I couldn't wait. My throat burned in an undeniable thirst. I had let my hunger grow too much, now I was unable to control myself. My mouth opened wider. And before she could react, I bit into her neck. Hard. She groaned in pain which turned into a moan of pleasure. That was all I noticed until a blissful daze hit me as I drank deeply.

Her blood was so, so sweet . . . so addictive . . . they are all like this but it took my breath away every time. Sometimes, I wonder if the effect of the endorphins affects the victim and the feeder because surely this was heaven. I still perfectly remember the rush of endorphins when I was being awakened, but this . . . This didn't compare. This was amazing.

And I'll be like this for eternity.

I had to hold tight to her body, to keep her from falling. I could feel her life fading away and rushing into me. I felt like I could do anything. Slowly, I pulled away from her lifeless body. Even as her life had been taken from her, those plump lips curved into a smile. The endorphins had obviously affected her.

I knew we strigoi loved the kill and violence of it all, but I found it revolting as a dhampir. For the victim, they don't die in pain. Unless we wanted them to, which would involve a lot of blood and beoken bones. Everyone will die someday, except us strigoi, of course.

We need to kill moroi, dhampirs and humans to survive but its not like they die in pain. Our victims die in complete oblivion and happiness. So we take their blood and in return we make them die happy rather than a painful and horrible death when their time will come. What other way of dying is better than this?

A faint rustle of leaves made me turn around, throw the body behind me and face my opponent in a defensive posture. Seconds later, a man approached stake in hand. A dhampir. Another kill.  

He lunged at me knowing he was exposed and I dodged his initial attack. I ran into the shadows, blending in the darkness. The man---no, boy---looked puzzled but wary. He couldn't see me. He had short cut dark hair and looked to be about 16 or 17 with dark clothing. He was one of the unpromised ones. A shame really, I was hoping for something a bit more . . . challenging.

He turned around, his back was facing me. I would have liked to toy with him for longer but I've already wasted a lot of time. I was on him, grabbed his neck and snapped it, leaving no time to hesitate. He froze and fell to the ground, wide-eyed. The stake rolled out of his hand and hit a trash can. Satisfied, I spun around and headed for the the exit to find Nathan.

I didn't like him much but he was the only one I knew of who can lead me to Galina and right now I need her guidance. Just like I did when I was a dhampir in school. I knew she would want me to join her estate because I was one of the best novices. I found Nathan still inside the club but by the look of his face I could tell he was done. We ran for the exit desperate to get away from the thick smell of human sweat and the deafening music that pumped through the room.

We both made it to the car in seconds, Nathan decided to drive since he knew where to go. We could have ran, it would have been quicker but Nathan said it was out of Novosibirsk. Who could be bothered to make a run like that? Nathan started the engine and we drove in silence.

It must have been the worst two hours of my new life. It would soon be dawn and we had to get somewhere safe from the sunlight, quick.   

We had arrived at a huge building. It stood tall, and screamed luxury. A hedge maze surrounded it, covered with many types of night blooming flowers. It looked like it had been taken from a fairytale. It's mystical appearance compeled me to move towards it.

He directed me through the maze in awkward silence. In seconds, we had reached the entrance. He stepped in, and I followed behind, unsure and slightly nervous.

I looked around, astonished. The building was beautifully designed. The walls were a creamy beige colour that enhanced the blood red colour of the soft looking carpet. A chandelier hung from the ceiling, the diamonds glittered and gleamed in the light.  A modern security system had been installed in the corner with a strigoi I didn't recognise operating it.

We continued to walk for about a minute before we reached an office. The room was as elaborately designed as the entrance. I walked in, behind Nathan to see the occupant.

Galina. My old instructor.

********************************
x_aNoNYMouSTaCHe_x