Chapter 12

I briefly looked around, before entering. I had to make sure no one saw me. Nathan already knew about Roza but if the others do that would just cause more problems which is what I really don't need right now.

Soundlessly, I typed in the door code which I knew so well. It flashed green and I entered the small space between both doors. The corridor was long and narrow, elaborately decorated like the rest of the estate. I walked through the hall, my emotions jumbled. I was both curious and excited. I pressed the combination of small number keys on the second door before it flashed green. My hand slowly turned the handle, and I took a step in before closing the door behind me.

Rose was curled up asleep, thankfully. She'd be shooting me daggers, and be acting her stubborn self if she was awake. I took a few steps towards the bed, staring intently at her small but strong frame which was curled up into a ball. I sat on the bed, admiring her beauty. She looked like she was at peace. I noticed that her expression was also relaxed, unlike how tensed she was before I took her here.

I stroked her cheek, noting how soft and warm her skin was against my cold, rough hand. She continued to remain in a deep sleep, snoring softly. I sighed deeply before getting up and exploring the books all neatly organised on the shelf. My hand grazed over each book, scanning each title until I found what I was looking for. I snatched the book of the shelf, smiling fondly at the memories the story brought back to me from when I was a kid.

I used to read western novels as a kid, in my home land. They were the fanciest books we had which belonged to my mother. She used to place it on her book shelf and I had to be careful if I ever wanted to use them. This one was my favourite from all of them. This one was so tense and full of action, risks and bravery. It was stunningly beautiful. 

I was going to wait until Roza woke up. And since I have time to kill, I may as well do something quiet like reading. Reading of the legend one more time couldn't hurt.

I walked over to the living room, which was as elaborate as the rest of the room. I took a seat on one of the armchairs, my back facing Rose. I stared at the hard book in my hand. My finger traced each golden letter of the title, before I turned to the first page and began.

The people were silent, frightened at how brutal this would become. Both men had their guns aimed and ready. Who would shoot, who would die?

"Release the girl!" Cole yelled. "She's innocent."

"Or what?" He questioned. "You'd shoot me?". He spoke confidently, clearly oblivious to the officers well earned reputation. The criminal looked at Cole in the eye, those eyes were cold and merciless before he pulled the trigger-

"What are you doing here?" A voice asked from behind. I froze for a second, as I had zoned out when reading.   

"Waiting for you to wake up," I replied without facing her. I was startled until I realised who it was, who had just woken up. Which is quite shocking, as I was still fueled with the blood.

"Sounds kinda boring."

She got up walking to the far end of the living room, as far from me as she could, leaning against the wall. She crossed her arms over her chest, standing in a protective posture. I don't understand why she'd do something so meaningless. She can't escape me, she should know that by now. If I managed to knock her out on the streets where she could have easily escaped, how does she think that she can escape from me in a high security estate with another 60 strigoi that would stop her? She wasn't going to accept defeat so easily. It was in her nature.

"Not so boring. I had company." I looked up at her noticing there was something bugging her. I held up the western in my hand. Shock was clearly etched on her face, which made me smile slightly. She studied me, as if searching for something before a look of disappointment crossed her face. Strange...