Part XIII - The Locket (1/2)

Start from the beginning

Rebekah pursed her lips, nodding her head, her eyes showing that she didn't believe a word I said. But she decided to not push me any farther, for it would turn out into an argument of no importance, worsening my already temperamental mood.

"Well.. When Jade and I were talking, I brought you in to the conversation." Rebekah continued, her voice softening.

"And?"

"Her expression darkened into hatred when I brought you up."

"The power of Silas." I growled.

"She spoke of you as if you did something terrible and unforgivable to her."

I swallowed a lump that had formed in my throat, the feeling of anxiety boiling alive.

"I did."

"Did the unforgivable deed have to do with the fact that you bit her?"

"Yes."

Rebekah sighed, drinking down the glass of bourbon I had offered to her, as she ambled across the floor, the sound of broken glass fracturing even more underneath her feet. She sat down on my bed, looking up at me.

"How did you biting Jade cause her to grow hatred for you? I mean, its just a few gulps of her blood. Besides, doesn't everyone want a taste of her?"

"Its not like that."

Rebekah blinked her eyes at me, a look of confusion crossing her face.

"Then what?"

"I tried to kill her." I murmured, leaning back on the bar.

Talking about this incident that had happened between Jade and myself made me restless. The look of fear that crossed her eyes as I took advantage of her. The look of disgust that burned alive in her when I told her why. Never would I have ever thought that I cared about a weak human's feelings for me.

Rebekah just stared blankly up at me, unsure of how to react.

"I'm sorry. I seem a little confused. You meant to kill her?"

"Yes."

"With the bite of a hybrid?"

"My bite, yes."

"But you like her."

"I thought killing her off was the best idea for all of us."

"Was?"

"Yes, Rebekah. was."

"Then why didn't you? You hesitated, didn't you?" Rebekah spoke with dissapointment.

"You speak as if you wanted her dead."

"I can't help it when she stole my brothers away from me. You and Elijah willingly gave your attention to her."

I furrowed my eyebrows at her.

"That's not true." I said in incredulity.

"You wouldn't know what's true or not. You were too caught up in Jade." She spat out.

"Don't speak of her like that." I lashed out.

"See?"

I shut my eyes in irritation, turning around and pouring myself another glass full of bourbon.

"What happened to family first, Nik?" Rebekah murmured.

I downed the bourbon, turning around and throwing the empty glass at her, aiming just beside her head, the glass shattering once it made impact against the wall. Rebekah didn't even flinch, she only scowled at me, shaking her head.