Part XI

not edited

-

Jade

I took no intention of what Stefan said. I just continued to stare at Klaus as he stared down at me, emotionless and unreadable. Stefan chuckled before exiting the kitchen, my gaze suddenly averting to his retreating form.

I opened my mouth to call him back, to tell him to not leave me alone with Klaus. But instead, Klaus' voice spoke in the replacement of mine.

"How are you, Jade?" I turned to meet him. His voice was soft, a flash of concern crossing his eyes. He even looked exhausted, his slight curls in tangles, his hair sticking up in odd angles. Klaus stood tense, almost alert like I was going to run from him. His hands in fists, muscles tight against his shirt.

I don't want to say I miss him, but I did.

It took all the will power I had to not cross the distance between us and feel him in my arms.

"Fine." I muttered.

Klaus stood still for a few more seconds, awaiting my act of cowardice. When he figured I wasn't going to run from him, the tension in his body relaxed. A small smile even appeared on his lips. But he still looked guarded, as if something was bothering him.

He crossed the small distance between us, but then walked past me to the stool where Stefan had sat on not too long ago. I slowly turned my body around to face him, a glint of mischief in his eyes.

"You're lying." He leaned forward across the island between us, a smile appearing on his lips. I hadn't noticed it before, but a small set of dimples appeared. I bit down on my lip to force myself to not be amused and flattered by the smallest but most adorable thing of him.

His eyes shifted from my eyes to my mouth, hardening on my lips, his jaw tensing, his body stiff.

"Unless you want me to take you right here, right now, I suggest you stop that lip biting." He growled.

I stopped biting my lip, a small blush forming on my cheeks in embarrassment.

"How very straight forward of you." I said. His grin grew bigger as my heart sped more rapidly.

"I just always happen to speak my thoughts." His comment caused a laugh to escape my lips.

"And right now, sweetheart, my thoughts are saying how beautiful you look in that dress." He said. His comment caused heat to rush to my cheeks once again, bending my head down to avoid his gaze. I felt his fingers slide under my chin, lifting my face to meet his serious gaze.

"Don't hide your face." He said, before pulling his fingers away from under my chin.

"I can't help it when you keep intimidating me with your compliments." I snapped.

He smirked at my response, lazily leaning across the island.

"Why did you want to see Stefan?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"There doesn't have to be a reason."

"Then I don't see a point in telling you." I smiled in triumph, watching a glint of frustration flash through his eyes.

"Fine. Then ask me the question." He sighed.

"What question?"

"Did you not hear what Stefan last said before he left?" He rose his eyebrow at me.

"Yes, I did."

"Then ask it."

I pursed my lips, unsure what to say next. I didn't want to tell him that Stefan and I were just talking about him. Even if it was only for a few minutes, I learned a lot about Klaus, and even Stefan himself.