10: Putting Plans Into Action

You watched as Lucifer's hand went up to gently touch the flower that were placed on his head.

"Do you like it?" You asked quietly.

"I like that you've given me something." The corners of his lips tugged upward as his eyes softened. Where was the awkward, demanding god that you had first met?

He then plucked a flower from nearby and tucked it into your hair. Your face blushed, as you recognized the entirely different demeanor that was being presented before you.

"So... Did you... Were you serious about coming to check on your pomegranate trees?" You stumbled, desperately trying to remember that you were promised. But you had only met that man once. You had met Lucifer... three times.

Now that may not have seemed like much, but to you it was everything. You shared something with him. And the way he said your name... you could just imagine yourself listening to that for the next few hours, days, years.

And he kept moving closer, you could have sworn.

And if you had sworn, you would have been correct.

And perhaps if you had mentioned it, he would have stopped.

And he didn't stop, he kept moving closer.

And then he was in front of you.

And finally, his lips were on yours.

"Oh!" You exclaimed as his lips retreated quickly from your own. He had stolen your very first kiss.

"Humans like that, no?" He was still leaning over you, looking into your eyes. "That is for humans who pair-bond, correct?"

"I... I don't even know what you're saying to me..." Your eyes searched his face for any semblance of an ulterior motive, any look of this being a joke.

"Could you come with me to check on my pom-er-granate trees? I could make a promise to return you to your human mate." He cocked his head to the side, wondering if making this guarantee would be the first step into keeping you with him.

"Pomegranate." You whispered, thinking deeply.

Suddenly, his lips were against yours once again.

Quickly, they left.

"Please?" He looked up at you with an indiscernible emotion on his face.

"Okay." The word slipped out of your mouth before you could stop it. You knew better. You knew that this wasn't going to be a good decision for you.

He sat back away from you and gave you another small smile. Lucifer looked like a painting right now, with the warm wind gently blowing his blonde hair and the multi-color petals laid within it. The bright red pomegranates dotted the green and brown trees behind him. You wondered what was going to happen next, and what your family would think.

"Is the underworld scary?" You asked suddenly as you began to relax once again. It didn't seem that he was in any rush to whisk you away-- a small solace.

"I would protect you with my life." Lucifer laid back into the grass. He said it like it was an obvious, everyday thing to say. But it hit you much deeper than that. No one had ever even suggested such a thing to you. Your family hadn't. Your future husband hadn't. Yet here was this "evil" king of the dead, offering you a kind of service that was one of a kind.

You laid back as well, gazing out at the meadow in front of you. Then, you spotted something out of place.

"Do you see that?"