7: Good Company & Good Conversation

AN: Shout out to @Hani-senpai_ for the amazing new cover!

"And then! And then! He truly had the audacity to ask for only a small herd of goats! Can you imagine?! She was so embarrassed." You recounted him the drama that had been your friend's dowry.

"I cannot imagine." Lucifer was plucking arils from the tart fruit and popping them in his mouth as he reclined on the grass. "I should think a girl such as you would require at least one of those c-ah-w things."

"Cow? Me? No, I would be lucky to fetch even several chickens. I am not as appealing as other girls that are available." You shoved a handful of pomegranate arils in your mouth and chewed ferociously, ironically proving your point.

"You are available then? We have no chickens in the underworld, but perhaps a small demon?" He laid back in the grass and soaked in the sunlight, enjoying the sensation.

"No one wants a demon! That would be even worse! I can just imagine my aunties now: 'And she was so awful that the family actually received a curse for a dowry!' Oh my goodness, no one would ever forget about it." You shook your head and chuckled as you looked over at the god in front of you. "Are you even a boy?"

"Mm? Why do you enquire? If it is about whether or not I could reproduce with you, I would have to admit I'm unsure but I was wondering the very same thing mysel—"

"Uh no!" You interrupted him, giving him a weird look. "You just don't look like any men I've ever seen. You've got the chest of a woman."

"Hmm. Well I suppose I am not man nor woman. Something in between." He looked down at his body, something he had never really done before. Then he looked to yours.

"Oh. Well I suppose you can be whatever you want to be. It isn't really my business, anyway." You shrugged and stood up, brushing off the plant bits. "Oh no, I've gotten that awful red juice on my clothing. My parents will not be pleased." You groaned as you looked down at your own body.

"Shall I get you a new one?" Lucifer sat up, unhappy that his time with you was ending. "Would you come with me?"

"To where? The underworld? I doubt they have clothes; you always show up completely naked."

"Tis true. We spent out time unclothed, making it much easier to fornicate and whatnot. They would just become soiled."

"...Either way, I still must return home. But I did enjoy seeing you today. Please, try not to wait a year before visiting again if you can." You picked up your basket and smiled at him.

"You... enjoyed my presence? But I did nothing but rob you of your crop." His face scrunched in confusion as he tried to understand your position.

"We traded. My fruit for your company and good conversation. I think that's more than fair!" You waved and ran off in the direction of the village, hoping to make it home in time.

Lucifer however, remained in place for just a moment, wondering.

"Fair?"