9: The Third Meeting

"YN." A deep voice called out to you in your field. You jumped, but it had only been a few months since you had last seen Hades... or rather Lucifer.

"Oh, hello." You turned to him and sat in the tree you were working in.

"Your hair has grown... YN." He walked up to the tree and leaned against the branch you were sitting on.

"Yes, my future husband has stated that he prefers longer hair." You cheered wistfully. You were so happy to have finally been spoken for. And for a decent dowry as well; a herd of goats and a cow. More than your friend. In fact, it was one of the largest dowries because you came with the orchard.

"Can I not have you first?" He looked at you and gave you some semblance of a smile. He had decided: He wanted you. And he was going to pull out all the stops to make sure he got you.

"Lucifer, god of the underworld? Have me? Why would you want me?" You laughed as you swung your legs in the air. "We've met twice."

"I know that they may not seem like much, but you've had an impact on me. I should like to continue to get to know you." He moved to lift you down from the tree by your waist. "Could we go back to that field of floorers today?"

"Flowers. And yes, I suppose. I could make us flower crowns. Would you like that?" You shivered at his touch. It was cold, like death. But you were a little bit thrilled at the contact. Perhaps you didn't quite know much about him, but the time you had spent together was thrilling. This was the god of the underworld for crying out loud. And wow, he was beautiful.

Is that the right word? Beautiful? Or is it handsome?... Pretty?... Either way. You thought as you looked at his face. You were entranced.

"Were you... always this good-looking?" You asked him as you look up at his glowing face.

"Good-looking? I had my... assistant... style my hair for you. Do you like it then?" He kept one of his hands on your waist, the other ran through his long, blonde hair.

"Yes. But I think flowers would look splendid in it. Come!" You turned and grabbed his hand to pull him along with you.

I mean... This isn't being unfaithful to my future husband... right? This is a god. I can't really say no anyway. Thoughts raced through your head as you guided him to the edge of a meadow. It was a particularly warm day outside, but you found your body closer and closer to Lucifer's.

"Are you sure you don't... smell different?" You inquired as you both took a seat on the soft grass.

"I assure you, human, I have done nothing else. Perhaps you have... missed me?" He sat back on his arms, giving you his entire attention. "Are we going to have a coronation?"

You smiled at him.

"You should hope that no other human finds us. I could lose my marriage contract." You mentioned as you began gathering flowers from near you. It took only a few minutes until you were able to form a full crown.

"I now declare you: King Lucifer!" You giggled and placed the flowers on top of his head. Did people really say that Hades was scary?