New discoveries

A/N: Hello everyone! I know you've all been waiting patiently for the next chapter and while I initially wanted to wait for the first episode of volume 9 to publish this chapter I was too excited and I had to share it! Unfortunately I didn't take too much time to edit this chapter so if you happen to find any typos please let me know in the comments. Enjoy!

I felt at peace as I fell through the air. The wind roared around me and seemed to blow my worries away with it. I closed my eyes and opened my arms, surrendering myself to my fate; But just as suddenly as the feeling appeared it had vanished. I landed on my feet gently thanks to Weiss' gravity glyphs.

"Thanks for saving my life" I joked, sending a playful wink Weiss' way. "Let me repay you?" I leaned back, stretching my arms and growling lowly as I allowed my transformation to overtake me. "Heck yeah! Lion joyride! C'mon Weiss!" Ruby pumped her fist in the air, rushing past Weiss and plopping herself on my back. Weiss crossed her arms, silently walking up to me and looking down at me expectantly. I tilted my head to the side, grunting in confusion.

"I'm wearing a skirt. A lady of the Schnee family shouldn't be seen in such a scandalous position!" "Ugh! Stop stalling Weiss! They're getting away!" Ruby groaned in annoyance, grabbing Weiss by the arm and pulling her onto my back with surprising strength. I shook my head and sprinted to catch up with my teammates.

'Wow, this is some real shit' I thought to myself as I weaved between the cars scattered haphazardly along the highway. 'I wonder how they got their hands on such technology...' "Hey look! It's Yang and Neptune!" Ruby yelled, pointing to the two just ahead of me. I roared as I approached them, sending Yang a sharp look as we trailed behind the giant mech. "Nice to see you again kitty~" Yang grinned flirtatiously, giving her motorcycle a loud rev.

"Woah! K-Keep your eyes on the road!" Neptune squealed, shooting his blaster at the mech. That seemed to get it's attention as it slowed down just a bit. Neptune pointed his blaster down and shot himself into the air, transforming his weapon in midair and sticking the blade of it into the mech's back. "Watch the tires!" Yang growled out, swerving to get out of the way of the cars flying by.

"Neptune hang on!" Sun yelled from afar, activating his semblance to combat the enemy while he also launched himself into the air. But just as Sun was about to reach the mech Neptune was flung off of his weapon and right into his old friend, sending them both careening off the edge of the highway.

"(Y/n), If you can get ahead of this thing I can knock it off of the highway!" Weiss yelled urgently, pulling out her Myrtenaster. I nodded, pushing past the cars and moving to the front of the mech. I looked up at Blake, who was staring down curiously from the top of a car. "Now, Weiss!" Ruby encouraged as Weiss jumped off of my back and stuck her weapon into the ground. In a flash, the highway was covered in a thin sheet of ice that sent the mech suit sliding through the highway's barriers and onto another road below. Ruby followed suit, leaving a trail of rose petals behind her.

Quickly, I turned around and grabbed Weiss by the back of her jacket, being careful not to hurt her with my teeth. "Hey, these are very expensive fabrics!" Weiss wailed. Just then, I felt a weight on my back. "Follow them!" Blake urged, gripping onto my fur gently. I roared in affirmation, following Ruby down onto the road below.

I landed with a thud, rubbing my sore tailbone. "Geez Weiss, couldn't spare a single glyph for your savior?" Weiss' face scrunched up in rage as she pointed angrily at her torn jacket. "Quit standing around, we've got to help Ruby!" Yang called out from above, landing with a crash louder than mine.

The four of us looked at the small girl in red standing before the giant mech suit. "She's fucking fearless" I breathed out in awe as we rushed to her side. Just then, the mech groaned loudly, beginning to move towards us. "Razorburn!" Ruby yelled out, as she took both mine and Blake's arms and moved us out of the way.

Weiss and Yang nodded at each other, seemingly coming up with an unspoken plan within seconds. Weiss created another thin sheet of ice that surrounded her as Yang launched herself into the air with her Ember Celica. I could hear the clicking sound of Yang's weapon reloading as she punched a round of fire dust into the ice, creating a cloud of steam that covered the entire area surrounding us.

To make up for the loss of visibility, the mech deployed tracking lasers to locate us. Luckily for Blake and I, we could see very clearly as we weaved around the volatile machine. "Feline!" Ruby called out a few feet away, sending both Blake and I into action. Blake threw her Gambol shroud my way and ran to one side of the mech. I quickly followed suit, running to the other side until the ribbon was taut. The tracking lasers didn't seem to catch the ribbon and the mech tripped, falling down with a loud crash onto its side.

"Red Tail!" Ruby called again, readying her weapon. I sprung into action, dropping Blake's weapon and transforming my hands. With a loud, guttural roar, I began to slash at the back of the suit, hoping to get to the pilot's chamber. Just then, Ruby rushed forward out of the clouds, the small girl letting out a roar of her own as she shot and slashed at the front of the mech with all of her might.

The ground rumbled as the mech began to stand up again, forcing Ruby and I to fall back. "Checkmate!" Weiss and Blake burst through the fog, attacking the mech with enough ferocity to send it back a few steps. This seemed to anger the pilot of the suit as they deployed multiple missiles that exploded into the ground, sending debris and shrapnel flying all around us.

"Ladybug!" Ruby shouted, running between the mech's legs and attacking it from behind. Immediately, Blake was on her tail, focusing the brunt of her attacks on the giant rocket launcher located on the mech's arm. Ruby echoed her attacks and soon the entire arm crashed onto the ground. The sudden change in weight sent the mech suit staggering back, giving Yang an opening to attack from the front, repeatedly punching the window to the pilot's chamber in an attempt to unmask the attacker.

In what seemed to be final desperation, the mech thrust forward violently, sending both itself and Yang through multiple support pillars. "Yang!" I yelled out in anguish, readying myself to attack again. "Don't worry, (Y/n). Yang's semblance makes her stronger with each hit, and she uses that energy to fight back!" Ruby assures me with a firm nod, which I return, though still worried.

Yang slowly picks herself up, her hair beginning to glow luminously in the fog. The mech rears back it's only remaining arm and attacks Yang with full power, but it's stopped by Yang's own hand. The girl smiles dangerously at the pilot of the suit.

"Nice one; now here's mine." With surprising speed, Yang deals a blow of her own, but this time it destroys the arm on the suit. The mech quickly recovers and runs towards Yang, kicking her hard enough to send the girl flying backwards.

"Bumblebee!" Blake throws her Gambol Shroud towards Yang reflexively, to which Yang plucks the weapon out of the air. Like a flaming dragon flying through the sky Yang uses her momentum to fling herself around the battlefield.

Ruby and Weiss spring into action, taking advantage of the mech's distraction. Ruby readies her weapon and with the added help of Weiss's ice glyphs she unloads a powered up round that freezes the mech's joints in place. Yang then uses her Ember Celica to catapult herself into the mech, dealing a blow that completely dissipates the mech.

I lurch forward, transforming myself in an instant and seize the pilot in midair. A man in a goofy black top hat. But just as I'm about to hit the ground a small woman drops in from seemingly nowhere, aiming her gun directly at me. I hear a deafening crack, feel a searing pain rip through my abdomen and everything goes black.