Hospital Stay

Ed's POV
My eyes snap open, I'm breathing fast remembering the gate, "No!!"

"You're okay Fullmetal, take it easy.." I jump, startled to see Roy holding my shoulder gently.

I catch my breath and look at him, I'm comforted immediately by his presence, I'm confused on what exactly happened, my eyes go wide and I try to sit up, "Alphonse! Wh-where's my brother!" I hold my side, gritting my teeth.

As I was panicking I see Armstrong come in holding Al's broken metal, "T-thank god.."

"Brother?" He turns his head and sees me, "Brother! You're okay!"

I tear up, "look at your armor..I'm so sorry"

Roy frowns, he lets my shoulder go, "This wasn't your fault Fullmetal, just focus on getting better alright?"

I nod hesitantly and look at Al, who has been sat by my bed, "I'll get your body back..I know how..I-I saw the gate Al..it showed me everything.."

Everyone looks at me curious.

Al bursts, "you saw the gate?? What happened?"

I sit up shaking, reclined now in bed, I look down at me stomach and frown, "it's where I went when I died.."

The room goes silent. Roy rubs his eyes, "Armstrong, we best be going back to work." And with that they both left leaving Al and I alone. "..."

Al comforts me, "it's okay Brother you're alive, that's all that matters"

I smile softly, "you're right..I can't get you back in shape until my arm is fixed.." I laugh nervously, "winry is going to kill me."

Al laughs back, "wellll she's already here, she's waiting in the hall, she's been here for 3 days."

"What? Three days? Al, how long was I out..?"

Al responds quietly, "you were unconscious for over a week Brother"

I stare down thinking.

A few moments pass and I hear winry and her tool box rush in, she sets the tool box on the bed and hugs me tightly, "oh Edward, you had me worried sick!"

I'm startled by this and cringe at the pain again, I lay my head on her shoulder, just taking in her caring.

She hugs me for a few moments and let's go, "who were those guys who keep coming after you."

I bite my lip hard and stare down.

Winry looks at Al for an answer, al sighs, "they're the ones who took him in the first place..they came back to finish what they started."

Winry glares at Ed, "I told you this would happen if you joined the military! And look! You destroyed my precious automail again!"

I flinch at her yelling but stay silent, I knew it was my fault..

Winry notices me flinch her voice goes soft, "at least you're alive Ed..now let me see that arm okay?"

I shakily lay down and expose my metal stump, I'm still staying silent.

Al speaks up, "brother why aren't you talking?"

Winry frowns, "Ed? Are you alright?" She looks down at my arm and starts working when she received no answer.

I stare at the wall, staying silent, I didn't realize I was crying until my pillow by my face was damp.

Winry grabs the automail arm she packed along and is about to hook it back to my arm, "ready Ed?" Luckily she doesn't see me crying, I nod a little.

Al is watching silently. I know he wants me to tell him everything I saw at the gate..but I don't know if I'm ready to talk about it.

Winry reattaches the nerves and I cry out in pain still not looking at anyone.

Winry apologizes, "now you've just got to get you're guys bodies back and you won't have to go through that anymore."

I grit my teeth, "you don't know what I've had to do!" I sit up wincing at my stomach, "how hard I've worked..I'm really trying..I didn't mean for this to happen..I really really didn't" I start crying into my hands.

Winry frowns, "Ed.."

Al is quiet at first, "Brother it's okay, I promise"

I bite my lip to help stop crying, I get up shakily, I'm  wearing sweatpants and I'm shirtless, due to my abdomen being so heavily bandaged.

I go over to Al and clap my hands and fix his armor, offering a small smile, I say,"I'm fine.." then walk out leaving winry and Al alone.

Al stands up, "brother?"

Winry frowns, "Alphonse, what's going on with Ed?"

I ignore the rest of their conversation and go up to the roof, I need to be alone. I just want to be alone right now..