Chapter 4

Susan's POV

'Do you have a boyfriend Susan?'

I shifted my gaze from the window and faced Michael who was driving me home. I could barely see his features in the darkness. His question caught me off guard. I didn't know where this was coming from, but I found myself comfortable enough to answer him.

'No, I don't.' I forced a smile.

He glanced at me and he returned his eyes on the road again.

'Have you ever had any?' he was studying me now.

'Yes. But it only lasted a short time. Because he didn't love me.' I mumbled, my voice becoming thick with emotions. I turned my face to the window again, squeezing my eyes shut as they bring back painful memories.

We both continued the rest of the ride wordlessly. I waved him goodnight as he dropped me in front of my house. I reached the porch unable to shake the thoughts of Brad- my ex.

I met him at a dollar store. I was a frequent customer there but I had never seen him even once. He is the first ever guy to have approached me. I saw him on the counter when I was checking out my cart. He had a lean 6ft body and brown eyes. His jawline was perfectly sculpted and his lips lusciously plumped. His black hair seemed to in a roughly combed.

Hi.' He said while he wiggled the product in front of the barcode reader.

'Hey.' I replied, I stared at my shoes now. I was too shy to face him. I was pretty sure he was seeing how hard I was blushing now.

'Hey, how are you? Is it your first time here?' he asked. His eyes fixed on me as he continued scanning the products.

Why is he asking me questions? What was that supposed to mean?

'I have been h-here a few time-s.' I muttered. I started playing with the bottom of my tote bag.

'Why do you ask?' my voice is tight now.

He was looking at me a bit too much now-and I was melting like a popsicle.

Help me! I am not used to attention!!

That too from a guy?! Nooo.....

'Well, I haven't seen you around here. And you're too beautiful to be missed.' He admitted in a slow husky voice, his lips curling into a sexy smile, his gaze more intense on me now.

WHAT? Is this a joke? Is this one of the pranks my bullies are pulling with the help of a stranger?

I look around the small gift shop, my eyes searching for the presence of Carter and Jacob. My heart has started pumping so badly but I couldn't see them anywhere. I fished my wallet and paid him the due amount, ignoring his stare.

Next, I grabbed my things and left the store in a swing. As I continued walking briskly, I could not make myself believe that someone had just told me I was beautiful.

Had he really meant it?

Or was it a sarcasm about my size? The not to be missed part?

I had yearned for this attention from someone my whole life. Why was I so nervous when it finally happened?

'Because it might be one of the tricks of your bullies. They might have sent him to play a dirty trick on me' a small voice inside my head answered.

I got home that day, unable to get him out of my mind. Every time I closed my eyes or my mind was unoccupied, his face would appear out of nowhere and his words were still resonating in my head. The questions were wrapped in a hoop, they just kept coming back. I decided that the best for me lied in me not going anywhere that store again. But as soon as I thought so, a part of me considered the idea rubbish. That part of me wanted to go the store the first thing in the morning the next day.

I managed to keep my feet away from the store for the next few weeks, but little did I know that our paths will cross again soon. I saw him again in the hypermarket. I was a few feet away and I saw him at the meat section. I tried running away from him as bells started ringing. I jerked to my left in an attempt to hide in the shelves and I bump into a big black guy who was moving in my direction. The sound of our trolley colliding got us the attention of everyone in the radius. I look up in his direction and see him frowning his brows at me and starting to walk in my direction.

I excused myself and continued moving as he called behind me. Some steps further, he placed my hand on my upper arm, slowing me.

'Hey, are you okay?' he asked, his voice brisk as he struggled with long steps to meet up to me. His left hand now holding my right elbow as we face each other. His other one was holding a shopping basket.

'Hi, I-I'm okay, thank you' I muttered, forcing a smile as I finally meet his eyes. I was sweating now, my armpits, my upper lips were pushing sweat in beads. I stared at the hem of his shirt, I needed something to do to hide my face.

'What happened there?' he asked, sounding concerned. He didn't let go of me. I was getting butterflies now. No one has ever been this concerned about me, and all at once, I liked that he was touching me and was this close to me. But now he'll realize that I was trying to run away from him!

'I had f-forgotten something. Sso I turned to my lefft and I bumped into him.' I stole a quick glance at his face before looking straight behind him.

His lips were now forming a smile, and I felt the atmosphere between us easing.

'What's your name?' he asked, his voice low and sexy. People around us were looking at us now. I felt so embarrassed.

'I'm Susan.' My voice barely audible, it was the first time in my teen years that someone had approached me and asked my name.

'Hey Susan, I'm Brad. I'm sorry I did not introduce myself the last time. And I meant to say sorry if I was just too blunt the last time. It is just that I found you beautiful' he admitted, letting go of me to run his hand in his hair. I guessed it was something he did when he was nervous. I peeked at him and as soon as he caught my eyes, his lips turned into an apologetic yet boyish smile. I could not help but smile myself. Butterflies were kicking my insides now.

'It's okay. It's just caught me off guard. I am not used to compliments.' I managed to say in a hushed voice.

He crunched his eyebrows together and looked at me like I had just spoken gibberish.

Had I?

I hope not. Well I usually do. Because it wasn't the time!

I'm more embarrassed now. I like when his face grimaced expressions. I fell even more for him.

This moment we are sharing together, is the most content one I have shared in a while. It made me happy that someone could make me smile. I was in a bubble of depression and all negative feelings for so long. I had forgotten what happiness felt like. Until now.

'Can I have your number?' he asked, breaking my spell.

'Paardon?' I stared at him. I was afraid my eyes would fall out of their sockets now!

Noooooo!

This cannot be happening. No fucking frigging way! My number???

'Your number' he mouthed. I'm sweating even more now. No one has everasked me my number.