Chapter 2

Susan's POV

I glance at my watch and see its time to get moving. My shift starts at 3 and I have around 30 minutes ahead of me to get to work. I spend the next few minutes crossing rocks covered with moss thinking how well I knew this place. It had crossed my mind that someday, I'll show my better half this place, and tell him how much it had helped me to cope with life. But what if, for him it wouldn't mean more than a forest to him? Or what if my whole point of coming here to deal with my shortcomings was pointless to him? Or what if no one would ever like me again? Maybe I'll be turn into the old lady who lives with only four paws? Or maybe I'll end up losing my damn mind from loneliness and get admitted into a mental hospital? Or maybe my mother will kick me out after I turn 18 and I'll start living off the streets? My life is full of what ifs.

While on the bus, my thoughts couldn't stop drifting to him. I haven't seen him since past weeks, he was one of those guys you could not stop staring at. He had a tall muscular body and wavy blonde hair.

Yes blonde hair baby!! Smoking hottt!

His green eyes were slightly bigger than normal which made him look breathtakingly cute. Every part of him attracted me, but yet I was curious to know how intellectual he was. Was he an outdoor person or the guy who was glued his PlayStation? You could say every cell of him was made with perfection. I could not stand a chance with him - I was the farthest on the opposite end, and in front of me, was a long queue of pretty girls. You see, I was covered with fat. I look so horrible!

I adjusted my bun as I got off the bus, for the umpteenth time since morning. I have grown up styling my hair in a bun because my wavy black hair were all over the place when left loose. I rarely did my hair straight or wore them down. My face was oval shaped, I had dimples on my cheeks since I was chubby, and my eyes were a dark shade of brown. My 5'7 curvy figure made me look enormous among the petite girls at school. Maybe that was the reason no one befriended me or maybe the fact that I was boring. I had friends at my previous high school. By friends I mean people I exchanged a few words, and once in a while got invited to plans? I was connected with them on social media too. Big thing for today's world. But it meant something, rather than what I got today. Nothing. It was not hard for me to be unaccompanied, but I longed for the company of a true friend. Someone I could tell my worries to, I could share everything with, I wanted to be there for some-

'-Ayee, that's a thick ass.' A guy from the sideway blurted. A wicked grin drawing on his face.

What on earth is that? Asswipe.

I wore my head down and quickened my pace. I peaked over my shoulders a few meters ahead to be relieved that he was not following me. These type of people were the reasons why I wore earphones, but those got mercilessly crushed by my bullies' bear paws some months ago. I did not buy a second piece because I knew it would end up like the first one. Searching my bags and destroying my personal things is recently the new game my bullies are playing. And they had videos of them on social media. I shake the thoughts out of my head as I see the Jerry's Burgers sign a few meters away. I take out some paper towels to wipe out the beads of sweat running down my face and neck. The sun was burning me down. Once dried, I pumped some perfume and secured the bottle away in my backpack. I don't like smelling like an old cheese behind the counter taking orders. Besides, maybe my hottie will come around for some burgers today? Who knows?! I giggled at my own thought.

I pushed through the doors and noticed how packed the restaurant was. People were feeding on their burgers and fries everywhere. I scanned the place quickly to check if he's come to the restaurant today, but no sign of him. I weaved through the tables and joined Maya behind the counter. She's hustling through orders. I push my backpack in one of the lockers, slip my apron and badge on and join her side. She updates me on a few things and the orders yet to be prepared as well as the take aways.

She immediately disappears in the back to fetch her things out of the locker. A while later she reappears, swinging her bag on her shoulder, bidding us goodbye.

'Have a good time with your boyfriend, Maya. And don't worry for tomorrow, I am covering for you. You spend as much time as possible with him, alright?' I bubbled, genuinely happy for her that she is finally meeting her long distance boyfriend after so many months.

'Aww, thank you Susan. You're such a sweetie.' she added while leaving, a shy smile playing on her lips while she blushed. How can anyone look so lovely when blushing? I sweat my armpits out when I blush! I wonder who is human and who is not?!

She was one of the prettiest blue eyed blonde I've ever talked to. Like me, she was in high school and working part time jobs. I know her family was struggling with bills but she didn't let that take her down. I wish I was like her, strong and beautiful, and that I had her charm of approaching people and making them comfortable, maybe I'd have a friend by my side. Who knows?

'Jerry's Burgers, Susan speaking. How can I help you?' I chanted as I took my first call for the afternoon.

'Hi, this is Christine. Can I have two lamb burgers with two large chips in take away please, and keep the condiments separated?' asked the lady from the other side.

'Hi Christine, of course you can have them. The order should be ready in 25 minutes, would that be okay for you?' I queried.

'Yes. 25 minutes would be okay, I guess.' she added.

'Great, so 2 lamb burgers accompanied with two large chips and the condiments aside. Would you like anything else?'

'No, that's it. Thank you.' She hung up and I forwarded the order I jotted down to Michael, our chef.

Michael was a gentle 34 year old man who had 5 year olds triplets. Former accountant, her wife left her job after giving birth to the triplets because she wanted to be there for her kids. At first I used to walk on my way home. It was a 30 minutes' walk and since I didn't have a car, my only option was walking. Later, Michael insisted on dropping me home, because he was worried of the type of people that would be on the streets at this hour.

I spent the next few hours serving the customers and taking orders. I could not help but look up every time I heard the door swing. My heart hoping it would be him. I promised myself I would not stammer this time. He had that effect on me, either I'd stammer or I could not get anything out of my mouth. I wondered when I would get to know his name. I could then stalk his social life as a starting point

. Or not? Sounds creepy, but its not! Just some gawking and drooling over pictures!

The mystery was killing me day by day. God bless me with his presence today! I giggled mentally at my thoughts.

You don't stand a chance. You don't stand a chance.

It was already 8 when I heard the front door swing when I was stacking new soda bottles to chill. I did not bother to look towards the entrance. I put the last one in and got up, my legs shooting me a sharp pain as I had squatted for the last minutes.

It sucks to be fat. I should really stop eating so much.

But then all I think about is food.

And boys.

And boys who are ripped.

With a thirsty expression...and beard..

I giggled to myself as i tossed my thoughts at the back of my head. When I turned around to attend the customer who was waiting by the counter, or rather the customers, my eyebrows shot up in surprise.

Am i hallucinating?