CHAPTER 34: Katarina of Antares

(Katarina's Point of View)

Antares, an island in the southeastern part of the Realm. It was a division where the Sleuths dwell. Likewise, it was known as the Land of the Truth for it held the biggest research facility in the land. Those were researches mainly historical. In my perspective, the land was a prison, and I always wanted to escape from its walls.

Living on the island for almost twenty years was tantamount to living in a correctional institution. The tall walls that were embracing Antares separated us from the Realm. Even though there were Sleuths who always travel to the Capitol for research purposes, I never had the chance to be one of them, until today. They said that I'm too stubborn and carefree. Thus, it took so long for me to be assigned on a mission outside Antares.

After learning that Lucas left the island, I became more eager to escape from its walls. Well, he just left. He left no detail about him leaving the island. I knew one thing, he wanted to unravel his identity, to know his roots. So, he vanished without an order from the Grand Sleuth and the elders. He should have waited for the order. Still, I'm grateful that he did that.

I was standing before the elders of the Order of the Sleuth. Inside the Grand Tabernacle. They were wearing ivory-colored suits with sashes according to their rank. Silently, they were sitting in high chairs adorned with different gems. There were thirteen of them; the Grand Sleuth on the middle and six elders on his left and right, respectively.

The Grand Sleuth slowly walked down the steps. The sound of his foot steeps filled the whole place. He had a scroll in his right hand. When he was near me, he handed it to me. "Prepare yourself, you're going on a mission," he uttered after a minute of silence. That was the happiest moment in my whole existence.

***

I hit the golden thing I had in my hands against the adobe wall. I worked so much to have the diary in my possession; however, it was useless. I cannot even know what's inside. I've gone back and forth the Capitol for a month, following Cassandra to acquire information.

"Katarina, I think we really need to go back to Antares," Aurelius told me as he was tired of seeing me getting annoyed with the diary.

I stopped from hitting the diary against the wall. "Says who?" I shouted at him. "The authorities in that island who are always hindering us from doing what we want?"

"You're just exhausted, I get it. But, we have to bring that diary to them. It can save the Realm from the misery it is in now."

Under the shade of a hundred-year-old tree, in one of the barrels scattered under it, I sat. The scorching sun made the very soil we were stepping on dry and barren. Perhaps, it added to my annoyance. Standing before me, Aurelius, on the other hand, the golden-haired and blue-eyed man, was so relaxed. He was one of the top young sleuths in the island. The elders had him accompany me on my quest.

"I just really want to live a life away from the walls of Antares," I sighed.

Aurelius sat beside me. He got the diary from my hand and put it on the ground. "What's happening to you?" he asked me.

I looked him in the eyes wearing a serious face. "I heard them," I replied.

"Who?"

"I'm not sure if I heard it or comprehended it right; but, something's not right," I tried not to answer his last question.

"Katarina, you did not answer me."

Silence filled the place for a moment as I hesitated to talk. I knew that he knows who were the people I was pertaining. "Grand Sleuth Voltaire was talking with at least the half of the elders," I finally talked. "It was two days after they gave me this mission. I accidentally heard them."