CHAPTER 6: Who Killed Merriah?

The Magistrate and Statutory initiated an investigation regarding the death of Pioneer Merriah. The first action they did was to summon all the potential witnesses to take an oath before Him. On the other hand, the suspects were given the right have their defense lawyers.

***

It was the third day after the death of the pioneer. I still haven't heard from Justice Cassandra after I saw her that night after we went to her office, the second day for that. I reached my eyeglasses from the small wooden table beside my bed. When I already had an almost perfect vision, I opened my phone. I received an invitation from the Magistrate and Statutory regarding the investigation of the pioneer's death.

I was so lazy to get rid of my comfy blanket and pillows. So, I reached the curtains to cover me from the ray of the morning sun. Suddenly, someone knocked on my door.

"Angelo, this is Tamara, open the door please," she said as if she has an important matter to discuss with me.

"Tamara, please..." I said very softly while covering my face with my blanket.

"I know you're in there." she persisted. "It's about Justice Cassandra and the death of Pioneer Merriah," she added. After that, I realized that I was actually looking for her.

"Tamara, wait! I'll put on some clothes." I shouted. I opened the door. There she was. It was like she failed to have a good sleep on the night before that day. I invited her to sit on the couch near my bed. She removed her red hood and made herself comfortable she seemed tense. Before I initiated a conversation with her, I opened my window, and the wind came in like a prisoner desires to escape a jail.

"I thought it was a sunny day; but, it seems that we will be having a wet day. Don't you think?" I approached her. Then I sat on my bed facing her.

"She made me do it," she said as tears started to pour from her eyes. I was threatened, it was self-defense, or whatever they may call it," she added.

"Can you please slow down," I said because she was talking so fast. What do you mean? I asked her. "What did you do?" I added for I was so intrigued with her statement.

"Nothing...I never meant it..." she replied.

"Tamara, I have something to ask to you," I said. But, after that already put she her hood on and approached her way outside. Just before I follow her, she already ran away. I really wanted to stop her, but her last words chained me to my bed. I was not able to move a single muscle that time. I felt numb. That feeling continued until the only thing I can hear, and feel was the cool wind coming from the window.

For the second day, that nightmare has been haunting me. I can confess to the constabulary, they'll start on the lead that I will confess at any moment. But, I have to protect the justice. Well, its the only thing keeping me away from the constabularies.

I called Miguel to help me arrange a meeting with Mika because it's really beating me so bad. I have been thinking all day and all night since that night.

"Angelo, we need you here. Something terrible happened," he said while being tensed.

"What?"

"It's the commander."

"What happened? Tell me!"

"Just come here, we need you."

***

I rushed my way from my apartment to the Hive, it's not that far. I saw Mika going out of our Quarter while going in. Just before I finally enter it, Miguel blocked my way.

"What is this all about?" I said.

"We received a phone call?"

"So what? Say it!?

"He's gone. The caller shot him, and we heard it," he answered.

After that, I followed Mika. I saw here reporting her findings to her office.

"Mika?"

"Angelo," she said. "Poor Commander Nate," she added. After that, she walked her way out of the Hive.

I got nothing from her; so, I headed my way back to our Quarter. My mind was so confused, and it badly needs answers.

"Miguel, can you please tell me more details about Commander Nate," I asked him. "I know that you know more than what you told me," I added.

"Honestly, that is all I got," he answered. "I'll ask Mika, maybe she can give us the answers that we are looking."

"That will be a big help." I was relieved for a moment.

"Another thing, Angelo... about...," Miguel said with anxiously.

"About what?"

"Tamara, she's missing," he replied. "Daniel and I, we have been contacting her since yesterday."

"Are you sure?" I stopped for a moment and think. Perhaps, Mika is hiding something from us, and Tamara is part of that mess she is covering. Miguel, on the other hand, is an honest being; but, I did not tell him that Tamara dropped by this morning. He might tell his sister that information. So, I had to keep it on me only. "Maybe, she just needs space," I told him. "Don't worry, she's coming back soon."

"I hope so," he said. Then he moved back to his table. I saw in his eyes that he was really sad about the what happened.

After, that I sat on my chair and faced my computer. Instead of looking the feeds from the Philippines, I searched for this list of suspects and witnesses in the murder case of Pioneer Merriah. From that complete list, the names that caught my attention were of Justice Cassandra, Daniel, and Tamara.

"Hey, Miguel?" I said with a voice loud enough for him to hear.

"Yes?" he replied then stood to come near me.

"Where we you at the night of the murder?" I asked him.

"Are you kidding me?" he said.

"You know what, reserve you answer. It might help you."

"Seriously?" he tone suddenly changed raise a little higher from being calm.

"Sorry, Miguel." I apologized while I rubbed my head. "I'm just confused, these past few days were unfortunate." He never says anything. After that, he continued what he was doing that time. In my case, I took a long wild stare to the monitor and asked myself: "Who killed Pioneer Merriah?"