Eighteen

Luke had a habit of doing this to me; he seemed to always push me out whenever we would spend time together. Just like always, I had not seen Luke or even heard anything from him in five days. I didn't like him like this, I had risked so much for him this weekend and then he goes and treats me like that. I was not his toy he could play around with because I was for real about everything I had told him, but now laying here alone in my room - I wondered if he was for real too.

I didn't want to believe that Luke was using me and sitting at home alone was not getting either of us anywhere. After last weekend I honestly did believe Luke had some kind of feelings for me, I mean, the kiss was just magic. Perhaps it's just me being naive and dumb, but I couldn't just sit here and wonder and let this go away again.

Luke's scared and that's fine, I am too. I just need to help him understand that I do like him too and I've realised that. He needed reassuring, I could do that. Luke would not kiss me like that for no reason, would he?

My parents had gone to bed around ten minutes ago since they had to get up early for work tomorrow. It was currently 11:16pm and the dumb idea of heading over to Luke's house came into my mind. Whether Luke and I were friends, or more, I just wanted to see him. It wasn't his fault that his friends went at him like that - of course he reacted like that. I didn't want him to be the one constantly having to make the effort with me, if I show him that I care maybe things can be different.

I carefully stand up from my bed, grabbing the nearest jacket to my bed and shrug it on. Cautiously and as quietly as I can, I creep down the stairs and down the front door unnoticed.

-

The walk to Luke's house wasn't long, although it was kind of scary when a big dog came running at me from out of nowhere. I began to get nervous about being stood in front of the apartment door, scared that one of the other guys would answer the door or something - well, they lived here also. I take a deep breath before knocking on the door, taking a step back as I do so.

I hear a chain move and then the tall white door swing open. Behind the door was Luke, with a bare torso and his hair scattered everywhere. I had probably woken him up from his sleep.

"Fran?" Luke rubbed his eyes to alert himself, "What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I say, "Can I come in?"

Luke hesitates before looking behind him, he looks back to me and gulps before briskily shaking his head no. I wonder why not, but he's probably scared one of the guys will catch us and the teasing will begin again.

"Look, Luke," I begin slowly, wanting to make him understand, "I know that this is weird, trust me I find it all crazy too, but we get along so well, right?"

Luke does not seem to be paying full attention to me, he ran his hand through his hair almost as if he was worried about something and kept catching my gaze and turning his back to me again. The door was hugged to his chest and he looked like he was hiding something.

"Fran, you should go," Luke finally tells me, feeling like a knife to my chest after I had made the gesture of coming here.

"You don't get it, Luke, it's okay if you find these feelings weird - I do too and-"

"Frances, please just go," Luke sighs, deeply.

"Why? I just wanted to-"

Before I could finish my sentence, arms wrap around Luke's torso and the door is swung further open as Luke loses his grip. In front of me stands a shirtless Luke and a tall, blonde girl wearing one of Luke's button up shirts. She was very attractive and I felt a sharp pain in my chest.